2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to Turks and Caicos in February for a little R&R and was hoping to do some bone fishing. Looked at getting a guide but $500 for a 1/2 day is too much. I have been able to find a couple of locations open from the road that you can wade in, but I can't find what to use for bait/lures.

I'm taking a two piece medium action spin rod with 8 lb test but didn't know what type of artificials to use.

Any help is appreciated.

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
I would hope you will be fly fishing... If so, Crab and Shrimp are the ticket. Crazy Charlies, Gotchas and wigglers are best. You will need to vary the size and color, eyes, no eyes etc...

If fishing with spinning tackle, small crabs are best. My PB bone is 12lbs from Key Biscaine when i lived in Florida. I have fished bones there, Bahamas, belize, Coasta Rica, mexico.

Go to the fly shop at FTU they will hook you up.

·
DOINK
10,027 Posts
OK... just saw that you are taking the spin rod.. use live crabs... very small. I would go with a fly rod myself. Any guide there will set you up with gear.

·
Banned
726 Posts
Conk

If using your spinning reel, try using small pieces of fresh Conk. This is what was used in Belize by one of our guides.

Good luck!

BB

·
Registered
144 Posts
Bones

Phillips Wiggle Jigs on fluro leader. Get an assortment of colors but hot pink may be best. Can also use very small plastic grubs on the jig. This jig is built to have the hook up when the jig is on the bottom.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Timing the tides will be the hard part with out a guide. I would enlist a local even if they are not a full time guide. Or go once with a guide to learn the ropes.

Problem with spin gear is the noise when casting. This is why fly fishing is ideal for bones.

The smallest wiggle jig you can cast and over shoot the fish then reel it in to intercept them, let it sit until the fish are about ten feet away then move it very slowly. If this doesn't work then put a piece of Conch or shrimp on the hook. Small live crabs with no weight work really well, hire some kids to collect them for you. Plastic grubs and micro spoons also work.

A small gulp crab with no weight might work.

·
wastin' away again in Margaritaville
1,948 Posts
If using your spinning reel, try using small pieces of fresh Conk. This is what was used in Belize by one of our guides.

Good luck!

BB
X2...also pieces of hermit crabs...put on a 1/16th oz jighead .

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. I am still looking for an affordable guide, so far they are way too expensive. Even if I don't catch any fish, it's still better than being at work.

Going to hit academy for some lures this week.

·
All work n no play
2,384 Posts
I would say that you should go to FTU and get some crab looking baits-- Hell Gulp peeler crabs maybe the ticket. Also some little white bucktails, and some little shrimp looking jigs. Be careful not to get many over 3/16 oz. You want to finesse fish for bones, not chunk a TopWater in there and scare them. Cast in front of where the fish is going and behind it. Real or work the bait into his line of site and let him eat it. Trust me you will know when they have taken the bait!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Jigs

Put a small piece of coch and sight cast in front of fish. Make sure you have the best polorized glasses so you can see the fish. 1/8 oz. You can buy them at Academy in speck rigs double and just use one with the leader material.Good Luck

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
. Make sure you have the best polorized glasses so you can see the fish.Good Luck
When bonefishing this is the most important piece of equipment, especially if you do not have a guide telling you where they are.

We always pinched off a fresh shrimp tail and used it.

Have fun, it is a blast.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts