2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been kind of thinking of getting a bolt action .22 rifle.

I want to only spend $200-$300 for it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Here's my .22 story. My brother and I shared a marlin .22 growing up until I was 15 and my brother was 12 and my dad bought a new one just like the old one. Since I was older I got the new marlin. Put the scope on it and some how was spot on with out even bore sighting. I still shoot that .22 regularly and it will shoot 1 hole groups at 50 yards and I have never touched the adjustments on the scope since the day I got it.

I have a savage .17 and love it. If they make a .22, and I'm sure they do, it would probably also be a very good shooting inexpensive gun.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been more or less torn between the Marlin and the Savage in all reality.

I do want the CZ .22lr but that is kind of a lot of money for a .22.

This would be for me and my g/f and anyone else who has never shot a bolt action rifle to get into trying one out. Wouldn't want to start them off with a .270win.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
WINCHESTER WILDCAT..........I LOVE MINE...OPEN SIGHTS FOR RABBITS AND SMALL GAME....LOOKS GEAT TOO....MY 2 CENTS...
The Winchester is a Great buy for the money....The top of the line Savage with the thumbhole stock....all of them I have seen at the range punch one little bitty hole....super shooters with any of the ammo available.

·
Live Free Or Die
733 Posts
I have a Henry Golden Boy and love it but my all time favorite is my Winchester Model 69-A. Actually had my first one stolen and finally replaced it a year or two ago. Very accurate and just fun to shoot.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,343 Posts
I should pick up a Savage 93FV (.22 WMR) in the next couple of days. Never owned a Savage, but it gets great reviews and can't beat the price. I will probably change out the stock at some point though for a nice laminate one.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I have a Marlin bolt. I think was $125 at Gander 4 years ago. It likes subsonics. I put a nice scope on it so I can better see how bad of a shot I am. It will do about a 3/4 " group at 50 yards with subsonics. I little tighter with regular 22 LR.

The subsonics are fun for shooting at things that a normal, decent person would not shoot.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only think I can not stand about some of the bolt actions like the marlins and the savages is that the magazines stick out. To me it looks bad but then again thats the only way to do it.

I would like the Ruger 77/22 that way I can use the same mags as my 10/22. But that thing is way out of my budget that I am willing to spend. Anyone have a the 77/22?

Thanks for the info fellas.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
When I was looking a couple months ago, it was recommended to me to look for the .17 bolt action instead. Personally, I'm glad that I did. Plinking is a lot more fun when you can do it accurately at long range.

·
Borders, language, culture
6,343 Posts
The only think I can not stand about some of the bolt actions like the marlins and the savages is that the magazines stick out. To me it looks bad but then again thats the only way to do it.
I feel the same way. I'm putting an aftermarket stock on mine. I'm not buying it for that reason, but one bonus is the magazine will be completely covered.

I would like the Ruger 77/22 that way I can use the same mags as my 10/22. But that thing is way out of my budget that I am willing to spend. Anyone have a the 77/22?
Are you sure about the mags? I don't think they are interchangeable but I've been wrong before.

I had a 77/22 in .22 WMR. Sold it to a guy here on 2cool. I miss it and it was a good shooter. Tons of info on .22s over on rimfirecentral.com if you haven't been there yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts