2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
omanj
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I arrived late at the pocket because I slept in until 5:00 A.M. and it was already daylight when I hit the beach. There was some slick, clear green water with lots of bait being balled up occasionally by predetors. I tried out my new 6' cast net and eventually scored a mixture of menhaden, small sand trout, and about two dozen finger mullet. Next time I will know to throw the net up higher to give it time to open, instead of wearing myself out heaving a sideays opening net. I headed straight toward the "island" and my first fish was a 20" Spanish Mackeral that hit a free-lined finger mullet. For the next three hours, I caught and released 6 hardheads and 5 or six Blacktip pup sharks (2.5' long). I was running low on bait and leaders since those Blacktips have quite a pair of hook crushing jaws. I straightened my last hook as best as I could and cut my last mullet into three pieces. I threw out the tail section, and promptly had a good run. When I hooked it, suddenly I saw specks instead of blacktipped fins coming out of the water! With just the quick glimpse I saw my biggest speck I have hooked in years. I was all jittery when I netted the speck, knowing it was at least 25 inches. When I got back to my truck, she weighed 5.1 pounds, so my 6 lber is still the biggest-so far. Hopefully, I will go back to the surf tomorow afternoon.

·
Registered
640 Posts
bait

Use soft plastics and topwaters and eliminate the hardheads and blacktips. Congrats on the big trout.

Brandon

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Now with the discussion last week on "Bolivar Pocket" I take it you were at the 1 by Fort Travis (across from Lite house) beings you said you waded towards the island. If so, freeline is the way to go for the biguns. Also mite try sum of them mudshinners for some flounder as you will be surprised at the big flounders that hang in this area. You never hear of any flounder from this area and that IS because nobody fishes for em.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'd like to fish this area, across from the Lighthouse, with my kayak. Since I've never been to this area before, where would be a good place to launch my kayak without paddling for miles?

·
Registered
109 Posts
are spanish macs good to eat? i caught a 25"er yesterday and I had a about a 27"er on the line. If they are good then I will start keeping them

·
Charter Member
5,938 Posts
After fileting them, there is a red streak running lengthwise through the middle of the filet. I cut along each side, thus removing the red entirely. That leaves 2 long slender filets per side. I cut them up and deep fry. Turns out great.
Good luck.

·
Registered
91 Posts
MT meant to cut OUT the red meat not cut up, which leaves the white meat. Then you can grill them, fry them or bake them. Its just like cleaning a king fish, once you fillet the fish, the fillets will probably have red meat which needs to be removed.......O

·
Registered
740 Posts
The only thing about then they are a lot like a Sand Trout and will get soft on you if you freeze then. I eaten them the day I caught them and they are ok.

Redfish Bob

·
Registered
14 Posts
The "red meat" they are talking about is a sensory stip that runs the length of the fillet.
You can cook and eat the entire fillet, but the red line tastes like anchovie. If you eat
it on pizza, you will probably like it. Otherwise, run your fillet knife along either side of
this strip, cutting out a wedge of the red and discard.

Some people won't eat Spanish Mackrel, but if caught, filleted and cooked fresh (not frozen) I would defy many who turn up their noses at Mac's to tell the difference in many other species. Try it, you might like it! Bob S

1 - 14 of 14 Posts