2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished at Bolivar pocket for many years. Now it seems like there are so many Blacktips that you can't fish there anymore. I use live croaker and 4 out of 5 croakers are eaten by blacktips. They are thicker than ever!! Will they ever leave or is it just the time of the year? We caught over 15 sharks there this weekend in a matter of a couple hours.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
this time of the year. They are new borns and when the bull sharks move out of the bays in about a month they will push the little sharks offshore. The little blacktips are always bad from about mid may till mid july in the surf. Seems to be moe down bolivar way this year. We usually get them around High Island, but not as many this year. We also have a bunch of sharpnose sharks around, they will also move out when the bull sharks move in.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I Have Been Having The Same Problem, I Started Fishing The Bolivar Beach Front About 8 Years Ago The First 5 Years I Caught Maybe 3 Total Then About 3 Years Ago I Started Picking Up More And More This Past Saturday I Landed 10 Or 15 On Bass Assasins, But I Also Landed A Nice 24" Trout And 2 - 18s, At One Point I Had 4 Or 5 Of Them Just Swimming Around Me It Will Make You A Little Nervous,

·
Registered
441 Posts
Jolly Roger said:
this time of the year. They are new borns and when the bull sharks move out of the bays in about a month they will push the little sharks offshore. The little blacktips are always bad from about mid may till mid july in the surf. Seems to be moe down bolivar way this year. We usually get them around High Island, but not as many this year. We also have a bunch of sharpnose sharks around, they will also move out when the bull sharks move in.
so there will be bigger sharks close to the beach later this summer?

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Go try the 'Old Pocket' across from the Litehouse. I havnt been there since they have done the new work there with the wall. I have fished there many times and never caught a shark just trout n Flounder. You can wade forever between the old Boliver pier and Fort Travis and can wade out more than a 1/4 mile. WW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Last year my son and I were fishing the surf about chest high at HI. We were catching two baby Black Tip at a time. One right after the other. My son said, "Dad are there big ones out here also?" I told him I was sure there were, but not to worry about it. Then I asked, "How do you like fishing in shark infested waters?" ......................... "I'm going in Dad!"

It was about this time of year.

Later

Fresh Dead

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
ar_mcadams said:
so there will be bigger sharks close to the beach later this summer?
Are a few big ones around now, but they are giving birth. The bull sharks have not shown up yet. They grow up in the bay and move out into the gulf each summer once they reach aprox 4' or so. Some stay longer in the bay, others will move out sooner. Each year starting about july you will start seeing a large number of bay waders start talking about sharks. They are in the bay now, and will bother the waders at times, but are scattered. By july the bull sharks start to move in small groups and tend to become very agressive. Most have gotten to large for the food source in the bay, and the high temps have them very hungry.

Something usually triggers them to move out of the bay, almost all at one time. A large rain event, a storm in the gulf, can be a number of reasons. Once they move into the gulf they seek shelter from sharks that will eat them in the surf and shallow water just past it. Bull sharks like to feed on other sharks, so they will target the baby blacktips and sharpnose that are giving all the surf waders problems now. They will eat them until the smaller sharks move out into the gulf. The 4' bull sharks will hang around in the surf until november or so. Then they too will move into the warmer gulf waters.

I watch the fishing reports each year and tract bull shark movements. It is cool once you know what to look for. This year should be very interesting to see how the hurricane effected the bull sharks in the bay on the upper coast. We seem to have far fewer in the surf this year, and this is one of the factors that effects the numbers of smaller shaks in the surf. Fewer bull sharks around, means many more smaller sharks and sting rays around.

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,391 Posts
troutphishin said:
Just curious...do you think the limit has contributed to more sharks?
NO,

Best way I can explain it is like the wolf and rabbit. Think of the little sharpnose sharks as the rabbit and bull sharks, tiger, makos, or any other large shark as the wolf. Most of the sharks being caught right now in the surf on the upper coast are sharpnose sharks. To me, and most other surf fishermen, they are the hard head of the shark world.

In other countries shark is a very sought after food source. They are used for many reasons, biggest one being shark fin soup. These comerical interest target large spieces of sharks, like makos, sandbar,bulls, hammers and such. Them along with other comerical fishermen have decreased the popualtion of large sharks to the point that most large spices are in trouble. Long liners pose the largest threat in the gulf. They mostly wiped out the large sharks near shore until the law was passed to move them further offshore.

Like the wolf and rabbit, if you remove the wolf, the rabbit population will explode. Larger sharks feed on smaller sharks. Bull sharks are experts at feeding on sharpnose sharks and blacktips. Other larger species of sharks like makos,hammers,sandbar,tigers, also feed on smaller sharks. By taking away most of the larger species the smaller sharks have no predators. So there popualtion explodes. Since most fishermen can not tell the difference between a sharpnose, blacktip or bull shark. They assume that the population has increased. But only the smaller, pain in the butt sharks popualtions like sharpnose have increased.

The large sharks in the gulf are making a comback, but do to there slow growth rate still have many years to go. Once the popualtion of larger sharks gets better. They will decrease the smaller shark population like sharpnose. Also another species that sharks keep in check are sting rays. With the population of larger sharks low, then sting ray populations will increase.

They are having the same problem on the east coast also. Dogfish numbers are huge, much worst then what we have to deal with. All of the main preadators of dogfish like blue shak, sand tiger, mako's and other large sharks common on the east coast have been badly hurt. There population in the alantic are very low, and this in turn has allowed a trash fish like the dog fish population to explode.

One other preadator of small sharks are jew fish. Jew fish population has all but been wiped out in Texas. Just another speices that help keep the number of sharpnose sharks population in check.

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
Jolly Roger,

Thanks for the great post. I too have been plagued by blackfins in the surf this year, but I've also seen more large bulls in the bay this year than in the past. Maybe I'm just getting better at spotting them.

Friday I was wading the surf between Matty and Surfside and a 5' - 6' hammerhead swam right up to me and circled around me for a couple of minutes. Fortunately I didn't have anything on the stringer.

I'm usually not bothered by sharks, but this was a pretty big one and I had cut my finger on a hook getting it out of a fiesty black tip about 3 minutes earlier. I know how hammers are excited by blood so I just stood still with my cut finger in my mouth until it moved on.

That one freaked me out a bit.

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
J Roger, great post! I got onto the surf south of Pass Cavallo last Sat.. we couldn't keep the samll sharks off our lures, it was like 12 to 1 sharks to trout.

Back in the mid to late eighties on Bolivar we would see so many sharks it was just plain creepy. When it was super clear you would have the small sharks hang out next to you waiting for you to bring in a trout, then take off and cut the tail off or half the fish. You just tried to ski them back on top of the water as fast as was possible to keep them whole. These were 3-4' sharks. You couls watch everyone slapping the water with their rods. I don't fish there anymore.

Hey Wet dreams, this time last year one morning I hooked 3 and landed 1 6' bull shark right in the area you are talking about. Man it was a great fight, took 45 minutes on a boat rod and Penn Jigmaster, 20# test. They were coming out of the water after the specks and sand trout. They were soooo thick. That flat holds some huge sharks, due to the proximity to the intercoastal. It is great for trout and flounder, but where they are so are the sharks.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
I guess with more protection of the sharks they would be in the 'Old Pocket' more now than then. The last time I fished there was about 5 yrs back but when I was a teenager (late 60s) we fished this spot most every w/e and tore them up and can't remember EVER catching a shark. I do know back then we never weighed a fish and it would not be unusual to bring home 10-15 specks as long as your arm. Seems the farther you went towards the old pier the more flounder you would get. WW

·
Registered
55 Posts
bull sharks

a couple of years ago i was wading the beach side of seawolf and i saw a school of pretty large mullet hauling *** like something was running them. suspecting a shark i started moving to shallow water. i had a good stringer of specks i did not want to lose.the shark was about 5-6 feet and cut me off.good thing i had jeans on for the jelly fish.he bumped and me rubbed me hard enough to knock me down.no blood thanks to the levis.shark swam away.story over.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Bull Shark Attack

A couple of years ago on Discovery Channel there was a film of two men standing in waist deep water in a school of Bull Sharks filming them from above when one of the sharks took a whole calf off one man. Then a fake shark was made to determine the foot pounds of a shark bite. Very Interesting. You wont find me wading anywhere in any depth of water after seeing this documentary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts