2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still pretty new so I hope I describe this right...

Hit the beach before sunrise, caught a few mullet for live bait and hit the water at around 6:30 throwing some topwaters.

Water wasn't super green, but clearing up. Some seaweed to the first sandbar - you can fish around it but we got tired of the topwaters snagging.

The water was really flat all the way until at least noon.

Caught nothing and switched to a strawberry/white cocaho minnow. Caught 2 trought the biggest was maybe 14".
Nothing hit it for a while and switched to a liquid shrimp trout killer, hooked a stingray in the wing (I don't know if that's normal?) He had about 1/4 of one of his wings off, looks like maybe a shark had em?

Finally got him off and wound up getting two more off of jigs (cant remember the color) but hooked them all the same way, a little more than halfway out on one of the wings. I wonder if I was bouncing the jigs on top of em and hooking em as they took off?

We started wading toward the jetty. Saw a lot of swirl and a few definate Jaws type sightings - Kind of eerie surrounded by those guys and seeing the dorsal fin rise up like that... water wasn't terribly clear and pockets of seaweed out there. You could see the mullet swim by in packs of 3-5 but they weren't 'rafting' in big schools.

I threw a plum and chartruse trout killer and got a good hit. Thought it might be something good, but it was a shark about 2ft. I didn't think they hit lures...oh well.

Switched to the live and quickly dying mullet and wound up catching 5 more shark. The biggest was nearer to 3ft but it seems 2-2 1/2 ft is the norm.

My buddy caught a hardhead and had a fun shark, they seemed to really be hungry. In fact one spit the hook on me right at the surface. I eased up and watched him as he spun around and took it again! My boy had one that spun around on the line and I had some that took some really good runs.

My son caught two of the itty bitty sharks, and 2 of the two footers.

Other than that nothing to speak of. One of these days we are going to do this right!

Next time we're gonna try pelican island or maybe further down Galveston closer to San Luis.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Plan your trips to the "pocket" when the best high tide hits the beach from 9-11am. You caught the end of the food chain!!!

When the trout bite stops and the sharks are circling your do-net it's time to GO.....

·
Duty Is Our's; Consequences are God's!
7,615 Posts
Good Report! Like the others have said there are a lot and I mean a lot of sharks out there this year. Most I have seen in a long time. Trout and reds are there, you just have to hit them at the right time, but I'm not hitting the surf for a while, want to wait and see if some of these sharks leave before going again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts