2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Bob's plate with the pump built-in (not remote). On pre-launch checks the plate doesn't go down sometimes until goofing with it for a while, always goes up, and always works fine once I get it working and while on the water. I haven't done much testing because it's a PITA to get to where the relays and wiring are mounted on the boat but I figure I should have some spare relays on hand in case it ever fully takes a dive. I seem to remember a thread on here with some CHEAP replacement relays but can't seem to find it now after the forum upgrade. Can anyone tell me what some compatible relays would be? The whole harness from Bob's is $99 so it's really not that bad but two relays for $25 is a lot better, especially if it turns out that it's not the problem.

·
archTech
8,580 Posts
I seem to recall a thread about the relays being available at your local auto parts store. I don't remember the part number but if you take one in off your boat, I bet it can be matched up. Typically, they get stuck such that they won't go up, so yours sounds like it may be a connection somewhere...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bobs original relays are for Mercury power trim and tilt, available on ebay. Bob’s went to an upgraded relay due to reliability issues with Mercs, dont know who makes those, requires minor wire rerouting to use the new ones.

·
Just call me JJ
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I seem to recall a thread about the relays being available at your local auto parts store. I don't remember the part number but if you take one in off your boat, I bet it can be matched up. Typically, they get stuck such that they won't go up, so yours sounds like it may be a connection somewhere...
Yeah I'm certainly no expert but I can hear the relay click when I hit down. If I mess with the switch up/down/up/down and smack the relay lightly with a screwdriver it'll go down, once that happens it works great until I'm off the water.

Bobs original relays are for Mercury power trim and tilt, available on ebay. Bob’s went to an upgraded relay due to reliability issues with Mercs, dont know who makes those, requires minor wire rerouting to use the new ones.
I think I may have newer ones, they're in a small double pack just like the $99 replacement harness Bob's has online.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Just yesterday, I replaced both relays using the Bob's retrofit solenoid upgrade kit. It is a beefier upgrade kit that comes pre-wired (sort of) with two new solenoids and a new mounting plate. Very good instructions and a youtube video on it, also. A little more money but think it is worth it. The part number is 120-150004 and purchased from Bob's Machine Shop. Cost was 94.75 including shipping, which was very quick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts