2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the standard answer here is to go see Bauman but I want to hear what some guys are currently running and having luck with on the Boatrights.

I have a Powertech 4 blade 17p with what Mike Hood called a double cup on a Yammy 150. The cup helped but I'm still not happy with the holeshot.

The one other Boatright I have been around rarely has to move his jackplate as the boat will jump up with the plate up in a normal running position. With my boat the jack plate has to be very near the bottom to get the prop to hold any power at all during take off and then I can raise the plate past the ½ way point for running.

While in Port Isabel I noticed that most of the skinny water boats had more of what I call a "chopper blade" than the rounded blades on my prop, what is the performance difference between the 2?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I have a Boatright 1966 with the 140Tohatsu. I am having the same problems as well. I sent my prop off to Bauman and it helped (and I can live with it) but it's not great. Let me know what you find out.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm pretty sure Boatright recommends the Powertech props - check with Bill Leonard at Powertech about your situation.

Personally, I'm running a Baumann 3-blade Blaster (round ears, heavy cupping) on my tunnel and it works great. Lightly loaded, I can get up on plane with the jackplate all the way up, but need to lower it in order to get out of the hole when the boat is loaded.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When asked Boatright simply recomended "a 4 blade with lots of cup" and that I should try Loui Bauman. When I talked to Bauman he acted like had never heard of a Boatright much less what prop would work on it.

I spoke with Mike Hood today and says we need to add even more cup and then take pitch out to bring thr rpm's back up. This should not only increase bite during take off but also increase lift to keep the boat on plane @ slower speeds.

We will see.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got mine back from Mike Hood with more cup that extends farther around the tip of the blade.

Hope to get to try it out this weekend.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Late update.

The additional cup in the existing prop was actually a step backwards which no one can explain.

What I have found that seems to work well is a Powertech CF series 4 blade. This is the prop Powertech suggested for this application and it seems to work well.

This CF (Coastal Flats) prop stock from PT is getting me up @ a higher jack plate setting, slipping less, and keeping me on plane @ full jack with less speed. The down side is that I have lost 4-5 mph both at WOT and at any givem RPM but hey I'm not in a speed boat anyway.

19x72 Boatright w/150 Yammi FI, 17p CF series prop, top speed 40mph, 15-16mph min to stay on plane with full jack. Will get up @ full jack but @ 1/2 jack I can hammer it which would have blown out before.

Non of these 4 blades have had a good reverse but this one has near NONE!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a 18' Boatright with a Suzuki 140 Fourstroke, 18 pitch PowerTech with a lot of cup put in by Baumans and I am running real close to those same numbers 43 mph at 5800 rpms WOT, great hole shot with jackplate almost to the top and also stay on plane at low rpms. I had a 3 blade prop that I had Baumans put 2" of pitch in and thought I was going to like it , but the hole shot was not good at all and actually did not gain but 2MPH on the top end at around 5900 RPMs. I agree backing up is terriable but that is with any tunnel hull. The only thing that I am going to do is just watch the cup in my prop and when it starts to wear I will have Baumans continue to re-cup it.
David

·
Team Marsh Member
371 Posts
I've found that trimming the motor all the way in greatly improves backing. I too have the Powertek 17p cupped 4-blade on a 90 Tohatsu.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would also have to agree that tucking your motor in will also help. I put some transom wedges on my boat last year and they seem to help quite a bit.
David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Boatright speed issues

I have a 2272 with elevated console. There are NO stock props that work on my boat. I am running a Suzuki DF175, Atlas Jack, Power Tech OFX4 15.25"x19P. I am having cup put into tip to raise the bow slightly. WOT is 5850rpm @ 38mph now. Luke at Riverhawk in San Antonio saying prop may need the rake adjusted. Any ideas why this 175 want push this boat over 40mph?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the 2272 with the OFS4 15.25 19" PITCH ON A 150 SUZUKI. HAD Baumann's add more cup and im very please with hole shot and boat will top out at 42 mph. But 35 mph is fast for me so im not sure what the top speed should really be.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2272 with elevated console. There are NO stock props that work on my boat. I am running a Suzuki DF175, Atlas Jack, Power Tech OFX4 15.25"x19P. I am having cup put into tip to raise the bow slightly. WOT is 5850rpm @ 38mph now. Luke at Riverhawk in San Antonio saying prop may need the rake adjusted. Any ideas why this 175 want push this boat over 40mph?
Have you tried the CF series from Powertech?

·
Banned
388 Posts
There is/was a guy down in Seadrift called Crazy Mike. He was absolutely the man when it came to shallow water/tunnel drive boats. My understanding that he's in and out of jail. He made a prop for me and when he saw all the aluminum work on my Flats Cat he said it wouldn't work, but we tested it anyway. He was right. He went back in his shop and worked on a 3 bladed prop and was ready in about 45 minutes. Tested that and it was the best prop I've ever run. Put the Jack Plate up on 6" whether it was 8" or 8'. Popped up on empty and full load. I would call Bill at Flats Cat and see if "Crazy Mike" is still around. His was the only prop that would work on my boat.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm not sure if Crazy Mike is still making props. It's my understanding Jack Foreman at Crossroads props in Port Lavaca makes the same prop as Mike did. He is a small shop, but shallow water hole-shot is his specialty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm not sure if Crazy Mike is still making props. It's my understanding Jack Foreman at Crossroads props in Port Lavaca makes the same prop as Mike did. He is a small shop, but shallow water hole-shot is his specialty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jack built a 3 blade for my SW cat, a friend tried it on his Boatright (18' with 115 E-Tec) and he has one now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not tried the Coastal Flats from Power Tech, I heard they are an OFX4 with more meat on the blades. I will reach out to the guy in port lavaca but cats run way different than big flat bottom tunnels. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have not tried the Coastal Flats from Power Tech, I heard they are an OFX4 with more meat on the blades. I will reach out to the guy in port lavaca but cats run way different than big flat bottom tunnels. Thanks for the help guys.
I started with an OFX4 on my BoatRight 19x72 and hated it. Powertech swapped it for the CF and I have extremely pleased.

The 2 props have nothing in common.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have a cf on my 19/66 . I can get up with the jack plate all the way up . My prop runs in the tunnel now instead of having to lower the motor to get bite . Only problem is my boat does good to run 38 mph . I would like to get 43 and cruse at 35 . But I guess you can't have it both ways .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts