2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading about boating accident in Matagorda. Trying to find more details. Heard that it involved a guide Greg Verm. All I am getting is rumors. Someone set me straight. Been fishing with Greg great guy.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Reading about boating accident in Matagorda. Trying to find more details. Heard that it involved a guide Greg Verm. All I am getting is rumors. Someone set me straight. Been fishing with Greg great guy.
I don’t have any specifics but spoke to a sheriffs deputy at the harbor. Stated it was a boating accident that occurred at 2AM this morning. Two fatalities they found one and were dragging the scene looking for the second. The accident happened at the cut between inter coastal and new river. That’s all I know and curious if anyone has more info. Just a terrible situatio.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I think you are confusing two different events and have the name wrong. There have been two different incidents in the last week or so. Capt. Greg Brewer had a fatal boating accident near San Luis Pass. I could see how you might get the name confused.

The accident in Matagorda did not involve a fishing guide. There were 5 guys in a 17' G3 aluminum boat who hit a channel marker piling in the lower Colorado river just outside of Bragg's Cut. 3 survived, one was found dead and a young man is still missing. They were still looking for him today.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
I think you are confusing two different events and have the name wrong. There have been two different incidents in the last week or so. Capt. Greg Brewer had a fatal boating accident near San Luis Pass. I could see how you might get the name confused.

The accident in Matagorda did not involve a fishing guide. There were 5 guys in a 17' G3 aluminum boat who hit a channel marker piling in the lower Colorado river just outside of Bragg's Cut. 3 survived, one was found dead and a young man is still missing. They were still looking for him today.
Based on the pictures I've seen from the bay house, I assume you guys got a LOT of rain too? I assume the guys had poor visibility and hit the marker.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Really sad! I read where Jacob Langley was a member of the volunteer search and rescue team in Matagorda. The same team that has been or was helping with the search for him.

·
Registered
693 Posts
This was posted at DF and is from the brother of Jacob Langley.

from his brother.....We found him this evening about a half of a mile from the accident actually right in front of Wayne's bait shop my sister sitting out by the water seen something that looked totally different then the normal logs and debris that had been floating by and was moving twice as fast so they texted and asked me to head back that they seen something that needed to be checked and by that time another boat with high steer seen him also anything you read or hear on the news is pretty much false!
It happened at 1:15am Saturday morning 5 people on board a 18' g3 and 4 were ejected when they hit the reflector pole coming out of the cut crossing from the intracoastal to the Colorado River and the boat did not capsize.
Also the people of Matagorda are awesome especially the owners of Wayne's bait shop, the local hotel and I think they own standlys store or a small restaurant but they treated us like family the whole time

That ya'll again for all the prayers
Have Faith in good times and bad!

P.S Wear you life jacket!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am trying to learn a little bit about those pilings in Braggs Cut. From a satellite map I can see 2 sets of piles with no day boards on them. They are not Coast Guard aids to navigation. If any of you are local and know whether they show up on a GPS or chartplotter, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
I think one of the markers is gone and the other is way out from the shore so at night it would be very easy to hit it if you don’t know about it.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I am trying to learn a little bit about those pilings in Braggs Cut. From a satellite map I can see 2 sets of piles with no day boards on them. They are not Coast Guard aids to navigation. If any of you are local and know whether they show up on a GPS or chartplotter, I would appreciate it.
They do not show up on my GPS map. I am pretty sure they were put in by the COE when they made the channel. IMO the markers in Bragg's Cut are dangerous and make no sense even being in there. It's a narrow boat cut, you don't need markers to stay in the channel and these markers are in a place where they can easily be hit by a boat. The piling the folks hit sits right out where it can easily be struck as you exit Bragg's into the lower river. I just never have understood why we need navigation markers through there as small as it is and easy as it is to navigate. The thing that really needs to be marked is the concrete wall running out into the lower river on the north side of Braggs that is under water much of the time. I have seen several boats run up on that concrete wall that has no marker to mark the end of it. Now that is an obstruction that could use some type of marker yet has none.

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,565 Posts
The thing that really needs to be marked is the concrete wall running out into the lower river on the north side of Braggs that is under water much of the time. I have seen several boats run up on that concrete wall that has no marker to mark the end of it. Now that is an obstruction that could use some type of marker yet has none.

Absolutely. Buddy lost his lower unit to that wall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The thing that really needs to be marked is the concrete wall running out into the lower river on the north side of Braggs that is under water much of the time. I have seen several boats run up on that concrete wall that has no marker to mark the end of it. Now that is an obstruction that could use some type of marker yet has none.

Absolutely. Buddy lost his lower unit to that wall.
Is it a charted obstruction?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts