2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need your opinions...

I'm in the market for a trailer for my 18' Gulfcoast. I've seen Mcclain and Techsun and am leaning towards Techsun. Anyone got any opinions regarding trailers?

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
the game,
I like the one I own, but is was custom made for the boat and everyone will have their favorite.

Living at the beach my next trailer will definitely be aluminum, as just sitting under the house there eventually rusts even the best cared for galvanized.

I think it also probably depends what size boat you have and particularly how far you tow and how often you use it.

What's the price difference between Galvanized and aluminum?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Brand

I have a McClain galvanized for mine and it has been much better than expected, but I've looked at the Techsun trailers at the shows and if I have to replace mine the Techsun would be my choice.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I have a Techsun tandem. Had it a little over a year and really like it. It still looks as good as the day I picked it up. I like it because of the bigger I-beams, the complete use of stainless hardware and the removable spindles. With those, if I lose a bearing on the road, I can just removed the entire spindle, put the spare one on and get back on the road and replace the bad bearings at a later time. Their customer service is also first class after the sale. I had a defective tail light - they used sealed bulbs and the bulb fell out of its holder inside the sealed unit. I called them and 2 days later, I had a new one arrive in the mail free of charge

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
What does a single axle aluminum trailer for a 17' boat cost approximately?

·
15,099 Posts
I looked at texsun and magnum alluminum trailers for my new Transport 20ft. I found some things that magnum did a little better and chose magnum. Magnums allso have torque springs and not leaf springs, which we all know rust emmidiatly(SP?).All stainless hardware and alluminum or galvinzed wheels. The boat builder also recommned magnum and I tried not to let that influence my choice. I got the magnum alluminum tandum.

R.R...........

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Argo,

RE: PERFORMANCE TRAILERS

I recently bought a new boat / trailer (Performance Trailer) package. I have had trouble aligning the boat on the trailer (I am new at this and assumed it was my inexperience), however, I have since measured the support structure (bunks, guide rail etc.) and find them to be off in all regards...hence, I suppose, causing the misalignment.

Since I bought the boat in Alabama and live in Houston, it's a little hard to take it back (assuming this is a warrantee issue) to the dealer. I have thrown this out on the different forums looking for comments and ideas.

The plan now is to put it in the water, adjust, retrieve, launch, retrieve until aligned.

Have you had any of the problems?

Thanks

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
I have had zero problems with that. The dealer is responsible for alignment of the trailer. I told them my boat model and they made it perfect for it. I just back the trailer up and get it straight on first try every time. It pulls like it isnt even there. When I hit the brakes I have no strain no my truck brakes and no hard pull from the trailer either. It just stops like normal driving. I love the trailer, it is the best thing I have done for my boating experience by far. Blue Water ho can attest to that....... We got one heck of a ride out of my old trailer due to bad alignment on my leaf springs....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what I have found so far on pricing:

The Sportsman trailer (original equipment) is galvanized and they have limited retail outlets who deal only with selling their trailers. If I go through their retail outlet the galvanized trailer will cost me around 1900. If I go through a boat dealer, add 1K to that.

Both McClain and Techsun are around 2000 for a single axle aluminum trailer. The Techsun is probably $200 - $300 more. I priced the McClain at 1900 and The Techsun at 2100. However, there are some differences that are worth noting.
Note that these are the trailers that I was looking at and there may be some different options available on both:

The McClain trailer uses galvanized tongue. Techsun all aluminum.

McClain - galvanized adjustable bunk brackets. Techsun custom aluminum.

McClain - I beam to cross support beam is held by two screws that go through the bottom of the I beam. Techsun uses bolts that go all the way through the I beam (through the top and through the bottom) . From my understanding, this is where the stress is on the trailer and this is where the aluminum usually shows wear first. This is a huge factor in my buying decision.

McClain - cheap Walmart like submergible lights. Techsun - look like they used better sealed lights.

McClain - leaf springs. Techsun - Torsion axles.

The leaf springs versus torsion axles are probably the price difference, but all in all it looks like the Techsun is made better. I also called Magnum but they wanted 2800.

·
Lower Keys ShallowSport Club Members: 1
2,188 Posts
I'm in the market for one for a 16 footer as well, and am going to go with the Tech Sun. The torsion axle is what sold me. For any of you guys that aren't aware, torsion axles offer an independant suspension per wheel on the trailer. I saw an episode on Shipshape TV about it, so now I'm an expert (ha!).

·
Borders, language, culture
6,338 Posts
Also, I would look for the liquid-filled hubs. One glance and I can see if there is the proper amount of lube on the bearings or not. Try that with buddy bearings.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
I bought a new boat and trailer back in May of this year. I trailer my boat quit a bit, so it was very important to me to have a good trailer. Me and my boat builder discussed this in great length. I ended up going with a aluminum double axle magnum custom trailer with torsion bars and all the other bells and whistles.

After picking my boat and trailer up, I noticed that I had some light problems occuring. I thought it may be my truck, so I started chasing wiring harnesses, fuses, and all associated problems that ussually occur.

Come to find out it was faulty wiring and faulty lights. I called Magnum and was told they will happily take care of the problem if I would just take it to their closest dealer ship they would fix it (approx. 4 days) and call me when it is ready. The problem was that their closest dealer ship was four hours from my house.

So the morial of the story is find a trailer that you like, but make sure you can get local support for your trailer if you need it. If something major goes wrong it would be hard to get your trailer to their dealer ship if they dont have one close by.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
the_game,
Thanks for during the excellent homework on the trailers. Probably could save everyone some time and trouble.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts