2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
God is great, beer is good...
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my tag renewed and went to put it on, but the plate is gone. The bracket that holds it on is broken. Don't know if it was stolen or fell off on the highway. Anyone know what I need to do to get a new one?

·
Fightin Texas Aggie 12th Man
380 Posts
The same thing happened to me, and I was told by local tax assessor that I needed to file a police report to get it replaced. I have yet to get that done. Please tell me there is an easier way. What police department is going to come write a report for a stolen license plate? Not that it really matters, but I am not even sure where or when it disappeared.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Exact same thing happened to me about a week or two ago. I went to the tax office to get a new one and they said I had to get a police report before they could issue it. I went over to the PD to get the report, it took about 15-30 minutes for them to do the report before I could get my new license. It sucks and I was shocked, but I guess there is not much you can do to prevent theft!!!!!

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope I don't have to go through that! I don't know for sure if it was stolen or not and hate to waste a police officers time with it, but I may not have any choice.

This time I won't be using the cheap plastic brackets that are made for mounting the plates. I will make a new bracket out of heavy aluminum. It won't fall off on the highway and if someone wants to steal it, they'll have to work for it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
What if I have the license plate but have never renewed the tags. How do I go about getting the information to renew the tags?

·
88 Ag
6,223 Posts
EricG said:
What if I have the license plate but have never renewed the tags. How do I go about getting the information to renew the tags?
Either one of 2 things- take the latest year receipt that you purchased the tags with you and they will use this info. 2. take a copy of the title with you to prove that it is yours and you can get tags.

As far as the rest of y'all are concerned (losing the plates) I lost mine last year and went to the tax office on Pech Rd. (off of Longpoint in Spring Branch area) and I took a copy of my previous years receipt and they sold me new plates and tags right there on the spot.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
I'm not aware that they require a police report to get another license plate. Not sure where you are, but this is from the Harris County Tax Assessor website:

Q. What should I do if my license plates are damaged or stolen?
You can obtain replacement plates at the Harris County Tax Office. If your plates are damaged or you are only missing one plate, please turn in the remaining license plate(s) to the Tax Office for proper disposal and recycling. Please also bring with you your current registration receipt. You will be required to fill out a replacement affidavit, and there will be a $6.30 fee.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
EricG said:
Be prepared to fill out an affidavit that they vehicle (or trailer) hasn't been operated on a public roadway while the tags were expired.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Miss Dixie hit the nail on the head. I just spoke with my county tax assessor and was told that if I would bring in the renewal receipt, I could by a new plate and matching tags for $6.30. That's a bargain as far as I'm concerned! I figured the state would be licking their chops when someone had to replace their license plate.

·
Heritage, not Hate
3,239 Posts
When I renewed the registration on my Skeeter this year, I had to get new plates since the ones I had were 7 years old. I sent in the form through the mail and figured it would cost more than the $1 fee to renew by mail for them to send out the plate....I was wrong. Still beats standing in line at the County Tax Assessor's office. I would do it on-line, but the fee is more and I refuse to pay it....seems it would be free and easier for them to process.

·
Josh Finch
1,459 Posts
This just happened to me too

Mine got stolen at a boat ramp a couple of weeks ago. I'm in Fort Bend County and went to see how to get a new one. She said I needed the license plate number or the trailer VIN. I went home and got the VIN off the trailer and went back. They handed me a new plate on the spot for $6.

Josh

·
Registered
482 Posts
Our plate broke off on the last trip to SPI. We drove at least half of the way there without a plate. Because we had our renewal receipt, we paid $5.00 or so, can't remember exacly how much, got a new plate and was on our way. We did this at the county building in Port Isabel with no problems. Good luck!

·
Banned
2,193 Posts
Pathfinder said:
Miss Dixie hit the nail on the head. I just spoke with my county tax assessor and was told that if I would bring in the renewal receipt, I could by a new plate and matching tags for $6.30. That's a bargain as far as I'm concerned! I figured the state would be licking their chops when someone had to replace their license plate.
When you mount that new plate take a short piece of stainless steel wire and run one end thru a plate mounting hole and the other around the trailer frame. That way if the mounting bracket breaks again the plate will stay with the trailer.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
medja said:
Our plate broke off on the last trip to SPI. We drove at least half of the way there without a plate. Because we had our renewal receipt, we paid $5.00 or so, can't remember exacly how much, got a new plate and was on our way. We did this at the county building in Port Isabel with no problems. Good luck!
The new Texas plates are made from old TV dinner trays. Mine rusted in half and fell of in a year on my way to Venice. I mounted the new one on a plastic frame so metal doesn't touch the trailer and corrosionX the **** out of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts