2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Whiskey...most important meal of the day
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know of some good deep ramps in Freeport? Tried to launch at Bridge Bait today, which is where I usually launch but the tide was too low (looked like about 1 1/2 to 2 ft. judging by the normal water line),:mad: and I was not comfortable putting in there. I got a bunch of work done on my motors a while back and have not had the chance to run it between work and crappy weather. I am off for the next several days and really want to push some fuel through it, so if anyone knows of something that would work for me I would appreciate it. By the way I am running a 26' Regulator with an Armstrong bracket and twin Merc. 225's. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
Keep going southeast on FM 523 past Bucee's into the town of Freeport. You will cross a bridge. At the bottom of the bridge go right on W.2nd street go about two blocks then go right onto locust street. You will go over the levy and see a nice ramp. Can't remember the name of it but it is a little park. Check it out on a map before you go. I think FM 523 actually turns hard right in Freeport but if you just keep going straight it turns into N. Velasco Blvd. before you go over the bridge. Anyway, that launch is nice and deep. It does add 4-5 miles to the gulf but you don't have to worry about taking out your lower unit at B.B.

·
Registered
31 Posts
someone posted a link last year that had all the boat ramps on it . I thought i saved it but I can not find it.
I think it was on the texasprimetimes web site somewhere.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The ramp is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Locust Street in Freeport.

Here is the Mapquest link:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-5_e6kZVYnbf2wbhW

When you are in the parking lot facing the water, DO NOT use the ramp on the right! It is broken and your trailer will fall off the end...

The ramp on the left is in great shape. We launch a 25' Wellcraft with twin 225's there all the time w/o any problems.

Cheers,

tp

·
Registered
149 Posts
The ramp is at the intersection of West 2nd Street and Locust Street in Freeport.

Here is the Mapquest link:

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/9-5_e6kZVYnbf2wbhW

When you are in the parking lot facing the water, DO NOT use the ramp on the right! It is broken and your trailer will fall off the end...

The ramp on the left is in great shape. We launch a 25' Wellcraft with twin 225's there all the time w/o any problems.

Cheers,

tp
How safe is your truck at this ramp?

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
How safe is your truck at this ramp?
Ive launched there and seen a 40 foot Center console launch there and load as well. I always see broken window glass on the ground, hasnt been my truck tho. During the summer you just have to dodge the people swimming around the ramp:mad:

·
Salty Dawg
7,695 Posts
I have launched there several times. We launched Seasick's 36 contender there with no problem.

·
Goin' South
833 Posts
parking lot looks small. how is it on a nice summer saturday?
Never many boats there. Actually wish there were a few more. Have been parking there for a few years and never had a problem yet.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
how about the ramp at Churchill into the Bernard River ? not too much farther

we ran thru the Freeport/Brazos area the other night...Jan 1 ,, and there are alot of trees in the lower Brazos.......

yes, tides are 1 1/2 ' low right now

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Ive never had a problem at Churchill. I have heard there is a car or truck down there at the end of the ramp, which one I dunno. And people have hit it, but that is just hearsay, dont know for sure.

·
Whiskey...most important meal of the day
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got to take a look at the ramp off of locust st. and was still a little scared, also looked at a ramp over behind the Freeport PD scared again. The tide was still low, (1.5 to 2 feet) as usual this time of year. Just not sure how far back the ramps go, and don't want to fall of the end. I know I can put in in the harbor in Matty, just didn't want to spend the time or diesel to get over there if I didn't have to. That is where I grew up fishing and know those ramps are in good shape and long, not too familiar however with the Freeport/Surfside area. Thanks for the replies and help thus far..........

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
if your just interested in running the boat you could haul it a little further down the road to Sargent. They have some county ramps there and have seen some very large 30+ center consoles launched there. Its on the island over the swing bridge to the right.

·
TEAM JOINT CUSTODY
322 Posts
if your just interested in running the boat you could haul it a little further down the road to Sargent. They have some county ramps there and have seen some very large 30+ center consoles launched there. Its on the island over the swing bridge to the right.
loaded up a 31 fountain there last year during the Sargent Offshore Blast and dinged up both props on the ramp on the left (when looking at them) Was pretty steep

·
Registered
211 Posts
Was at Bridge Bait yesterday, no sign no nothing to tell you which side is deeper. Got stuck on the bottom and dinged up my props...:mad:

I am also looking for something better than that place. Of course the locals were just sitting there watching me. Someone could have said something.

This is the reason I love GYB, but geez its a long run out.

Freedbaby

·
Don't touch my junk, bro!
5,844 Posts
Next time you check out the ramp, bring your etending boat pole with you. Probe your way out the dock next to the ramp and see where the pavement ends.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts