2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1988 28' Harborcraft. We have had it out in the bluewater numerous times with no problems, until now. Recently when driving the boat and making even a slight right turn, the boat tries to take off to the right. Also, when running at high speeds, and a person moves from one side of the boat to the other, the whole craft will lean very badly. It has become a hazard to drive in rough seas because they too cause the boat to yaw, and try to take off to one side. I put alot of work into this one, (bought it cheap and fixed it up) and would rather not scrap it if I don't have to. Also, I certainly can't afford to have it torn apart and have the runners etc replaced. Any ideas on what could be wrong, how I can tell for sure, and what the prognosis is for this craft. Please don't tell me that a long visit to the bottom of the ocean is the best solution, lol. Thanks in advance. Jeff

·
Sky Liver Eatin nujaC
909 Posts
The only thing I could come with would be Water(fuel) in your hull. Check your bilge. But other than that...I think most small craft would have some sort of lean when someone walks from one side to the other....

·
I once killed two stones with one bird..
689 Posts
28' not exactly a "small craft". I'd think in a boat that size you would barely notice a 200lb load shift. Is it possible you have a stuck or malfunctioning trim tab?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sounds like HogHeaven is right, Water logged runners or water in the hull. I replaced the whole floor/liners/runners whatever in my old cobia because of something similiar, however my boat was only 20 ft long, my patch work gave the boat about 2 more years when I finally gave in and got a new one. What type of motor/motors do you have on it, if it is twin outboards one could have something wrong with it???????? just a thought

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Need more info

As mentioned above does it have trim tabs?
What kind of motor.
Did you add anything to it like a whale tail or dolfin.
And how is the boat trimmed when it does this?
--Hop

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor is a 260 mercruiser. I have never had trim tabs, and this just started recently. I have had this craft out in really rough water, and before the last couple of times out it did well without them. If I trim the motor up when on plane, the problem lessens but can become severe when I hit a large wave. With the motor trimmed all the way down, I have to hold the wheel forcibly to the left. Thanks for all the help so far. Jeff

·
Starboard List
1,882 Posts
Sounds to me like the trim anode needs to be adjusted if it's intact.
It should look like this.
http://www.mercstuff.com/images/zinc2.jpg
Or you have slack water in the hull.
Having the motor trimmed all the way under at speed will cause bow steer. That along with prop torque will cause you to hold left.
I doubt there is anything wrong with the stringers. If there is you should be able to spot stress cracks in the gelcoat. Do you trailer your boat? Or does it allways sit in the water?
--Hop

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hop, the boat is regularly trailered. I have noticed no stress cracks and have even pressed all over the bottom of the hull with a 2"x4" to check for weak spots. I found none. I have been wondering about the trim anode and will check tonight. Thanks again all. Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts