2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new motor for my boat.

I have been offered an almost new motor, without a title. I am assured that it is not stolen, but that it was left at a dealers and never collected. The price makes it very tempting.

Where would I stand, legally, with an untitled motor on my boat? I guess I would have a problem if I ever came to sell it. I don't want to be facing legal problems for the price of an outboard.

Any advice out there?

steve

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Can't he get it from the dealer? Lacking that, he can apply a duplicate title from the state. He should be willing to do that if it is not hot.

Without a title, I would pass on it.

Bob

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
You should be able to call TP&W's 800 number and wait for the prompt for boating info and give them the make, year and serial # and they can give you the owner status on it.

get a good legible receipt with the same info on it , if it clears and you should be able to retitle it in your name if it all checks out, but do your homework first.

boats and motors are treated like cars and you will have to apply for a lost/replacement title and prove the mechanic had a lien on it and that is why there is no title.

·
Mostest Bestest Member Ever!
5,059 Posts
If somebody left it at a dealer and never collected it, the dealer should be able to file a storage and/or mechanics lien against the motor and then take legal title to it that way. I don't think you'll have the same legal rights and remedies as the dealer did though. You should probably make the dealer go through the process to get a title for you. Call TPWD or the county tax assessor to be sure though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts