2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took out my recently purchased boat for the first time today. The boat leaned to the left severely and when I accelerated it tried to swap ends. The boat is a 17' center console with a 100 hp Suzuki. Is that to much power for the boat? The little anode trim tab is straight, do I need to move it one way or the other? Anybody want to buy a boat?

·
Registered
477 Posts
Not an expert here but need a lot more information. Did you run the boat with previous owner?
What Make and model is it? What you described so far sound dangerous find someone with experience take it slow.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not an expert here but need a lot more information. Did you run the boat with previous owner?
What Make and model is it? What you described so far sound dangerous find someone with experience take it slow.
The boat is a Traveller 16'9" center console, the motor is a 1989 Suzuki 100 hp. I put a new water pump in it and the guy that helped me said the anode trim tab was supposed to be straight but I think it should be turned a little to the side to compensate for the prop thrust. Never met the previous owner just dealt with his nephew.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What do you mean by lean? Does it lean to one side when just sitting in the water without the engine running? Or does lean mean it pulls to the left when under power?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you mean by lean? Does it lean to one side when just sitting in the water without the engine running? Or does lean mean it pulls to the left when under power?
Pulls to the left under power. That is just medium power, when I gave it more power it tried to swap ends.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
OK. I'm not familiar with the boat, but wouldn't think that would be too much power and wouldn't expect it to swap ends. It's possible the torque trim tab, which I believe is what you are calling the anode, needs to be adjusted to avoid pulling, but swapping ends with the tab straight seems extreme.

Do you know the hp rating for the boat? Is there a plate with this information on the transom?
Is the weight in the boat reasonably balanced from port to starboard?
When you look down the center line bottom of the boat, does it look straight?

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Move the rear of the torque tab to the left.

boat trying to swap ends is extreme.
You don’t have any glass delaminating under it do you?

·
An Over 60 Victim Of Fate
23,560 Posts
I ran a boat that would do that. We finally figured out that the outboard wasn't mounted in the center of the transom. Might measure from side to side.

If it's leaning to the side then it trying to swap ends makes sense to me.

Other than that and the tab (little rudder) try it straight and then to the left a bit.

·
No fish in West Bay
5,637 Posts
Does the boat have trim tabs? Are they level?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Trim the engine up some while running. Typical single engines setup will pull/lean to the port/left with trimmed all the way down. Trimming up a little at a time and you should get to the “sweet spot” where the boat/steering feel neutral. Over trim and it should pull to the right.
As mentioned above do you have a jack plate? If not the cavitation plate should be above the bottom of the boat. If the engine is too deep in the water will cause what you are describing. If you have a jack plate raise it up and should help with the lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trim the engine up some while running. Typical single engines setup will pull/lean to the port/left with trimmed all the way down. Trimming up a little at a time and you should get to the “sweet spot” where the boat/steering feel neutral. Over trim and it should pull to the right.
As mentioned above do you have a jack plate? If not the cavitation plate should be above the bottom of the boat. If the engine is too deep in the water will cause what you are describing. If you have a jack plate raise it up and should help with the lean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The motor sits really deep in the water, I have never had a boat that you could not lower all the way down while it was on the trailer. Top of the propeller is about 10 inches below boat and it has a large wing type cavitation plate. If that is the problem I don't know how the former owner ran the boat. I need to go back to a flat bottom boat I guess.

·
archTech
8,576 Posts
The motor sits really deep in the water, I have never had a boat that you could not lower all the way down while it was on the trailer. Top of the propeller is about 10 inches below boat and it has a large wing type cavitation plate. If that is the problem I don't know how the former owner ran the boat. I need to go back to a flat bottom boat I guess.
A picture of the lower unit in relation to the bottom of the boat would be good. Also, if you can get a picture of the area where the engine bolts to the boat transom would be good to see if there's a chance to raise it.

·
Got better things to do than play games
17,014 Posts
The boat is a 17' center console with a 100 hp Suzuki. Is that to much power for the boat?
If your boat was built after 1972 then it almost certainly has a National Marine Manufacturers Association Certification Plate. This plate lists the maximum motor horsepower that the boat designers built the boat to handle.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
post some pics of the boat on the trailer from the side, then from the back. this will help a lot, picture is worth a million words.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I fixed the problem, I sold the boat. I did tell the buyer what was going on and he said he could fix it and wanted the boat anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts