2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey somebody tell me im wrong...but i was at the dike and i just dont get it.... question: no1 why put ya boat on the trailer them pull up right in the lane to unload... question no2: why attempt to put boat in the water and not have boat ready to launch...drain plug/straps/equip. etc.... is it me or does anyone else think this is just rude...

·
Banned
144 Posts
there are many idgets that dont understand the concept of being at the launch

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
I understand your frustration..have seen it myself when the hubby and I are at the ramp..we he starts spoutin about it I just say "Honey get out and help them and then you can give a pointer or too.." keeps him from getting really "P"d because he's busy and also they learn the ropes...

·
Registered
326 Posts
FYI The dike is not the only place these kinds of things happen. Welcome to the world of fishing Galveston Bay.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Isn't just Galveston I thinks it's the entire coast. TPW really should look into some kinda a mandatory class before you can register a boat.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Im new to the boating world, but i like to get in and get out!! I have enough trouble backing the trailer up so my boat is ready to go when it hits the water..LOL by the way, any luck out in that area?? Im on graveyards at the plant right now, and got rods in the truck, thinking of wading mosquito island in the morning ???

·
Registered
85 Posts
I know that this easier said than done try to be more understanding of others, do like NurseD-bait said help them out instead of getting frustrated, it will make everybody's day better. Rember not everybody were taught to have as good boat ramp edicate as you where.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Texas city dike, well let me see. How about this one. There are 5-6 trailers in line at the end of the day to put their boats on. So everyone is floating around waiting for their trailer to back in. Here comes joe fisherman and his crew, pulls up in one of the ramps and ties off while he goes and gets his truck...oh wait there's a line. Meanwhile, everyone else waiting their turn is yelling at them. Gotta love it. Get a cold one and watch the action unfold.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Was there at the dike friday and had a new experience. A freighter went by in the ship channel and the draw down started just as I entered the protected part of the launch. It literally spun me around about 180 deg. Boat did not behave anywhere near like I was expecting it too. Glad there wasn't anyone else around to run into. If there had been 6 boats waiting to get on the ramp. it would have been ugly. I've learned. I don't want to be caught in there again when a freighter is running down the channel.

Not everyone is born a perfect boater. Some of us still have to learn by making a few mistakes.

·
Banned
144 Posts
TroutSnatcher said:
Get a cold one and watch the action unfold.
its very fun to go to boat ramps and just watch the action:cheers:

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The ramps at the Dike can be entertaining. Damage parameters are unbounded when you mix a ton of thrust with a rack of brews. Since folks are tired, irritated, and often 4 sheets to the wind, there is no learning curve; the fun will never end.

I've tried to help, buy my self-preservation gene kicks in and keeps me at a safe distance.

The plus side is that you could not ask for a better location than Sansom Yarborough ramp and there is ample parking, given the capacity of a 3 slot launch.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
trhere is no better entertainment and just setting and watching all the anitics that happen at that ramp. you will see it all. i keeo threatning to call a 2 cool beer drinking party and just bring you lawn chairs to watch the ramp. it is hilarious. you have to go there with that mind set it is going to be a mad house,... every time...

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
The real treat at the Texas City Dike Ramp...is when a large ship..or even better 2 large ships are barreling through Boliver Roads..and it sucks all the water out inside the breakwater..

Especially entertaining is the aforementioed YAHOO'S who have pulled into a slip,tied off, and went to get the Tow vehicle..

If you ever wonder how the boardwalks on the boat ramps get torn up from the bottom up..It is most likley from a boat that's bow is caught underneath the boardwalk, and when the water returns,it destoys both boat and walk.

·
29.42" Hg
5,238 Posts
txcoasting said:
What's a guy fishing alone supposed to do at a crowded ramp?
I fish alone on occasion..I also launch from this particular ramp..

I tie off to one of the sides, not in one of the slots...and always make sure a ship is nowhere in sight..

Just try to be as efficient at loading and unloading your boat as possible..

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Tie off on the outside of the dock/pier not in the ramp lanes. Go get your vehicle, get in line and back down the ramp . Untie and load (drive on) your boat. Climb out, get in the vehicle and drive off.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
I was sitting in that area a few weeks ago waiting for a buddy to back my truck down along with five or six other boats when the water was sucked out by one of those huge ships. It was pandemonium. Somehow we all managed not to end up in a big boat pile but it was an intense minute or two.

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
I've only had my boat a little over a year now, but I've gotten pretty efficient at the ramp. Even by myself.

Something happened this weekend though that really tried my patience. I was fishing with a group of guys from work (6 guys in two boats). Me and the other boat got to the ramp at 5:15. There were three of us and the other three weren't there yet. We decided to get the boats in the water as the crowd was already building. I had my boat all ready to go so I backed it down the ramp to where the trailer wheels were in the water. I asked the third guy to finish backing down the ramp while I got in the boat. He's a nice guy, but new to fishing.

Mind you all he had to do was back my truck about 10 feet and then pull out and park.
I motion for him to come back and he backs up 1' and stops. I tell him to keep coming and he backs up anothe foot and stops. This went on for what seemed like 10 minutes, but was probably only 4.

All the while I'm getting dirty looks from everyone else at the ramp. When all was said and done, I could have done it quicker by myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ramp Tips

I often launch a boat alone. The best trick I have found is to get a rope two lengths of the trailer (about 36 to 40 feet on a 18 footer). Tie the rope to the bow eye and the other end to the back of the trailer. Make sure the rope is neatly coiled up so it does not catch on anything. Back the boat in the water (un-hooked from the trailer of course). When the wheel as submerged, hit the brakes hard and the boat will float off pretty straight. Pull the the trailer out of the water and un-tie the rope from the trailer. This will allow you to go tie the boat at the dock and return to your vehicle to pull the trailer out. With practice you can lauch a boat by ourself in less than three minutes.

Another thing that will help you back down the ramp is to put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel when backing. Whatever way you move your hand when turning the wheel will be the way the trailer goes.

I have been there as a new boater and it makes the trip a lot easier if you can get out of the ramp without incident.

Another tip is to not launch at the dike. That place is a zoo, however, is pretty entertaining. The last couple of times I went there I saw some yahoos spend 20 minutes jacking around with time boat blocking everyone. I you have to spend a couple of bucks to launch at the Galveston Yatch Basin it is probably worth it. That is one thing I cannot tolerate is rude behavior, however, in todays world you just have to avoid it if you can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts