2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a boat down near the pass to fish the Surf this Friday. What's the best boat landing and how do I get there?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Brazoria County park at the base of the toll bridge on the Freeport side. Coming from Freeport just bear to your left at the Britelite Bait shop, go through the stop sign and you will see the entrance on the left. $4.00 to park and use the ramp, or $15.00 for a one year pass.
Greg

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Make sure you hug the left side almost to the point that you hit the boat docs or you will get beached. It's a good ramp though.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There use to be some pics of the place during an extremely low tide on this board.
If someone can dig them up they are a great asset to anyone who has never launched from there before.

BEWARE.........GO SLOW AND KEEP LEFT

Many a boat has beached up on that mud bank

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

Thanks to all for the info. Especially to FTB for that picture. It's worth a thousand words and saving a ruined fishing trip.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
322 Posts
Were was that pic taken from, i must be seeing something diff. that doesnt look like anywere around SAN LUIS PASS

·
Just an old ?
6,830 Posts
That looks like it was taken from the boat launch looking north/northwest away from the pass area. It is at the old KOA Campgrounds. If you look north from that house with the red roof, you should be looking out towards Bird Island.

Hang a right as you come out of the cove and then another right towards the bridge. Pay attention because you can go from 25 feet of water to about 6 inches in no time if you cross the channel.

Hope this wind today doesn't muck things up too bad and have a good fishing trip.

GY

·
KneeDeep&Sink'n
704 Posts
Yep, that is the boat launch at SLP, looking N/NW.

That photo was taken from the dock located next to the fish cleaning station and storage building where the double wide launch is located. I had posted several photos awhile back but my hard drive crashed a couple of months ago and I lost them.
I have not played around with the photo gallery on this site very much since Mont changed the format and I don't know if the entire set of photos is in the gallery or not. If they are, I don't know how to navigate around and find them.
I think I posted them in January or February of this year. Anyway, I'm glad someone else had saved one to share. The photo was taken this past winter when the extreme low tides were prevalent.
Unless you have a very shallow drafting boat, stay to the left until you get at least a few yards past that last house on the left. Many people make the mistake of cutting back toward the pass too soon and end up stuck in the mud.
The word is...they are supposed to start dredging the launch area this fall if all goes as scheduled. Supposedly the money has been allocated for the work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts