2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A man from Jamaica Beach is lost in West Bay off Pirates somewhere in the fog. He's older (even than me) has no compass and at this point is pretty rattled. His GPS is working but he says there isn't a track. I don't think he has a working knowledge of how it works maybe. I tried to get him calmed down on the phone and go in a straight line into the SE breeze and watch the arrow to keep it headed SE. He says the arrow is just going in a circle (he's going in a circle). His wife is very distressed and worried.
Anyone have any good ideas what to do?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Kenny If he is lost and going in circles, then he needs to stop and give you his gps coordinates so someone cna hit google earth ad figure out ex
actly where he is. Would be a good time for him to call Coast Guard also, but it will be hard for CG to find him if he is running around.

Prayers sent up.

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Kenny, tell him to throw out the anchor and stay put at that location and keep warm.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
A man from Jamaica Beach is lost in West Bay off Pirates somewhere in the fog. He's older (even than me) has no compass and at this point is pretty rattled. His GPS is working but he says there isn't a track. I don't think he has a working knowledge of how it works maybe. I tried to get him calmed down on the phone and go in a straight line into the SE breeze and watch the arrow to keep it headed SE. He says the arrow is just going in a circle (he's going in a circle). His wife is very distressed and worried.
Anyone have any good ideas what to do?
Call the coast guard ASAP!
call me with the gps numbers and I will get the coast guard there for him

PM HIS NUMBER!

tell him to anchor up and stay put and turn on all lights leave the vessel in idle.

Might add my neighbor is USCG and has been texted about it.
You guys are amazing! 10 years in disaster operations and 2Cool is the missing link for first responders. Report situation, establish communications, inform the responders, be ready to manage the situation as it changes.

Shoot, move, communicate....

Prayers. He will be O.K. with a story to tell.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
CG says it's not an emergency and won't go find him. The officer I spoke with was going to call him and see if they could help him use his GPS.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
what GPS unit does he have? Maybe someone here has the exact same one and can help him better?

Im in tiki, my boats on the trailer in the drive way. If all else fails, I can go find him.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts