2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boat that has been heavily oxidized and need to clean it. Thought this weekend would be a good one. Anyone have any suggtions for chemicals to use? I have heard that toilet bowl cleaner works?

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
I'll start the festivities...;)
I'd start by getting a decent buffer (I bought one of the Harbor Freight $29 ones three years ago and it's work fine for my use) then get some 3M Heavy Duty compound to give it a good cleaning. Follow that with 3M FinesseIt II to remove swirl marks and give it a good finish. Then apply the boat wax of your choice -- we've used Collinite liquid and paste with good results. Also used Zano Bros. liquid and liked it.
Amazing how good it'll look afterward.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Hooked is right on with one exception.. the buffer... I bought a more HD one at TASCO, which is the PPG paint outlet for $69.00 that we use almost everyday, mostly on the golf carts we are customizing, but on an occasional boat also....

Other than that, the 3M stuff is hard to beat....

Supergas

·
Capt. Sunbird
360 Posts
I've used Boat Armor 10-5082, "MICROSHINE SYSTEM" with success, but compounding and buffing takes time and "elbow grease" even with a powered buffer. It's always been a hassle for me to rig up and lift the hull off the trailer in order to completely work the bottom. I wouldn't attempt a boat hull without a buffer. Better still, as the post above said, hire it done.

·
Majek Skinny runner
200 Posts
The 3M products work great. You could barely tell what color my boat was when I bought it. It was so oxidized and chaulky. Did the 3M three step process. Heavy oxidation remover, finesse it and then 3M Wax with teflon. It takes some elbow grease but the boat looks awesome.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
A few we generally use:

Sno bowl (toilet bowl cleaner, not the most effective, but not as harsh or expensive)

On/Off: Marine cleaner you can pick up at Boaters World.

Any product containing Moradic Acid

Be careful with the acid (obviously) wear good gloves and a mask. The fumes can really get to you. Let it sit for a while then clean. Don't use a lot of it over any patches of grass you are particularly fond of (speaking from personal experience)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts