2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 18.5 foot center console fiberglass bay boat. I would like to have the carpet removed and gelcoat installed. I really don't have time, the knowledge, or a place to do the work myself. Any suggestions on who does this type work and approximate cost? Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not sure of the cost, but it's probably not cheap. That said, I'd recommend Res-Tex Fiberglass in Pasadena. Their number is 281-487-4482. I base the recommendation on some of their work I saw last summer when I was shopping for a boat. I looked at a damaged Grady White that he had repaired for resale. It had lost its steering & struck a barge. The repair work was beutiful. He had to show me where the damage had been. I couldn't find it by myself. I would've bought the boat, but there was another that I was more interested in. The boat I did end up buying will need its bottom redone in a few years, & that's who I'll be using.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
2ND that

I had them modify a floor panel to accept and properly brace a fighting chair mount. Beautiful work. Call them.

Bob

·
I once killed two stones with one bird..
687 Posts
Depends on the boat brand. I have a Triton that 2 different places have tried to remove the carpet and ended up saying it would cost over a grand, so I still have carpet. They said Kenners are easy. Not sure on other brands. The fiberglass guy in Baytown does all the warranty work for Tritons that Witt sells, and appears to do good work. It's on Bayway Dr, but can't remember the name.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I pulled the carpet up on my Shallow Sport myself. The fiberglass guy was going to charge me a lot more if he had to remove the carpet. I see why, as it was a pain in the [email protected]*. It depends on how much glue was laid down and how old the carpet is. The newer the carpet, the easier it is to pull up. It took me about two evenings worth or work to remove the carpet on the bow. I used a big scraper with a razor blade on it. Go find you a recommended fiberglass and gel coat guy. I paid $500 to have my deck done.

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
Res-Tex in pasadena is your best bet, I buy all my fiberglass supplies there... They do great work also....They sell marine carpet too...

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Have you tried a heat gun? That might soften the glue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did my Skeeter Baypro last year, and on the next one I'll pay to have it done. I tried scraping, chemicals/solvents (some of which should be no where near fiberglass lol), heat guns, and finally ended up with a round wire brush on a 1/2" drill. The wire brush was by far the best for getting the glue and tiny bits of carpet that were left after the carpet was ripped up. It took several days just to get it prepped for the gel coat, maybe even a week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts