2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw small boat that had capsized around noon today off buoy 5 Freeport Channel.
Five persons picked by CG. Have pic. will try to post later

·
Pike
4,489 Posts
I don't know how small "small boat" is, but geez I agree that IS probably an accident waiting to happen. Especially if they are in a boating channel with "big boat" traffic.

Hopefully everyone had PFDs and are OK.

·
Banned
4,487 Posts
I've been in far uglier weather in a much smaller boat, and been ok. Not at all "championing the cause", but i mean to say i don't think boat size was the issue. I would agree with the idea of bilge failure, or some other sort of mechanical trouble. A 20' boat should be able to handle those seas, unless he got banged against the rocks, or swamped by tanker wake, etc. Again, mechanical issues, bilge maybe. Scary any which way you slice it. Glad nobody drowned.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There's good reasons why people spend a little more for a Whaler.

Glad everyone was rescued.
Having a "Whaler" does not mean accidents will not happen. That boat is not inherently unable to handle some chop/rough seas. It could have been a combination of circumstances that caused this.

·
Pike
4,489 Posts
Yep, I agree, and 20 ft boat should be able to handle that area. When Wiem and I were sayin "that's an accident waiting to happen" in was just being described as a "small boat". In my mind; inshore, a small boat is a 12 to 16 ft jon boat. I'm suprised it was originally described as "small" in an inshore environment. Offshore, in those seas, it would have been a "small boat"

·
Registered
56 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but arent most foam filled, composite boats these days "unsinkable?" Does whaler actually have any technology other mainstream manufacturers dont?

·
COME AND TAKE IT
11,373 Posts
I would like to know the story, the owner could PM me if better. I am not going to judge by size of boat or type of boat. it means nothing to me. Things happen out there fast and anyone who thinks it will not happen to them because they are in a certain type of boat or for what ever reason is fooling no one but themself. All boats are to small when they are sinking.

Excuse my ignorance, but arent most foam filled, composite boats these days "unsinkable?" Does whaler actually have any technology other mainstream manufacturers dont?
You are correct, most offshore boats will not sink. Whaler will also hull up just like the rest of them, if you want to get to the nut cutting whaler is far behind most of the better name brand builders now days when it comes to offshore boats.

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
You are correct, most offshore boats will not sink. Whaler will also hull up just like the rest of them, if you want to get to the nut cutting whaler is far behind most of the better name brand builders now days when it comes to offshore boats.
Not sure where you came up with this.

Simply being unsinkable simple means the hull will float. But it doesn't mean it will remain stable when swamped. That is exactly what happened to the football players a couple of years off Florida. Sure their boat stayed afloat, but once it became swamped it became unstable and flipped upside down. The only person to survive was the one who had the motor skeg to cling on to. The others were unable to cling on the the bottom of the hull.

A Whaler wil remain floating upright even when completely swamped and overloaded beyond capacity.

Try this at the next boat show: Walk around and rap with your knuckles on the side of other manufacturer's hulls. Then tap on the side of a Whaler. The difference is obvious.

When my *** is on the line out on the water, I sure would hate to be sorry I tried to save a few bucks on a lesser boat.

·
Knee Deep Fishing/Neck Deep in Debt!!!
155 Posts
Boat had several holes, some fairly large, below the waterline, however I am unsure of the causes of this damage. All persons were on board the CG boat at the time it capsized with the exception of the owner/operator and two coast guard members who were attempting to prevent the inevitable. All persons were quickly recovered quickly, (within a minute) by the coast guard response boat.

·
All work n no play
2,384 Posts
Man I hate to hear this-- I was at the wal-mart in Lake Jackson and was in the fishing section earlier this week. I ran into a gentleman with 2 ladies and a child from Austin trying to buy stuff for Snapper. He said they were from Austin and had a small Bayliner and were staying in Freepoort. He hadn't ever been offshore and wanted some guidance in what to get. It was really blowing-- I got my phone out-- showed him how to get to this site, showed him how rough it was out there that day and explained to him how to catch big uglies and suggested he might consider just doing the jetties this week. He didnt really understand the power of mother ocean and how quickly stuff can go south, or how long it took for the Gulf to settle down. I hope this wasn't them.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts