2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been watching the cameras on local piers out of Port Aransas and checking the Buoy 42020 and it seems like today would have been a great day to go out. I talked with Snagged awhile ago and he went out with Valkyrie and said it was rougher than **** the first 15 miles. So...........

My idea is to build a buoy out of a completly foam encapsulated hull and have it anchored on one side of the end of the jetties and have a real time camera mounted on it so you could get a real feel for what the sea conditions are. The area around the jetties is always rougher anyways.

Am I crazy!! Yes........but I would like a better method for choosing what days to go and what days to stay home. Probably heading out Saturday with my buddy Charlie; regardless. SM :)

·
Pimp
7,688 Posts
Well, its long been my belief that the weather persons do a fantastic job of predicting the weather considering their heads are that far up their bait bucket....

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
The weather people are great at forecasting hurricanes. After that, the skill level falls off sharply as does the their accuracy.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
i personally think they do a great job. after all it is just a forecast and they tend to error on the high side on sea forecasts. i have had very few trips that didn't make it out due to lousy weather forecasters. i have to leave 12 to 24 hours before i go offshore and rely on their skill to make my plans....rick

·
Just one More
1,742 Posts
Well we broke the Freeport jetties around 5:50am this morning and made about 9 miles with hopes of better conditions. We fell off a good 4-5 footer and had one crew hit his head on the upright of the T-Top and split his eyelid open so we turned it around and came home. Last night at midnight I checked the Buoy report for 42019 and it was .7' @ 6 sec. and forecast was winds 5-10 SE and seas 2' or less. This morning wind SE @ 18mph and 3' @ 4 sec. Injured crew will fish another day (no stitches, just a butterfly).

·
Live Like No One Else.
5,391 Posts
I saw the forecast when I got to work this morning for tom. to be 3' after yesterday calling for 2' on Saturday. After looking at the Freeport and Matagorda webcam I am not sure about tom now. Things look a little sporty but I will watch the webcam today and hope things calm down a little. But most likely will still head out in the morning unless this get alot worse.

I am really hoping the seas are nice in the morning cause I haven't been fishing in a few weeks and won't get to next weekend either.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Captfry, I too was enticed by the .7 bouy and 2' forcast, But when I got up this AM at 3 the bouy was starting to trend higher and I punted since I was going alone. If I had crew I would've gone and gotten slammed right with you. The forcast missed it this time. Hope your buddy heals.BTW I'm also in Cypress.

Tex

1 - 8 of 8 Posts