2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a coupl'a boats being built here. I been thinking about it for a long time myself. I found Bateau.com. They have (looks like) a Florida style flats boat, ranging from 15 to 22 ft. Wide and pointy with a pretty flat botton and a tunnel option in the drawings.
Also an 8' x 20' flat bottom with tunnel. Draws 3". Think the H.P. ratings are off a little though.
Also in the forums there is talk of a new design. A "TEXAS STYLE" bay/flats/skinnystuff boat. looking foreward to that design.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
You may recognize my handle over there too, as I just finished my GF-16T a couple of months ago.

No, their HP ratings are not off. Those boats are a lot lighter, when built as designed, than any of the production boats you can buy. I mean, look at the PH-15 that Ken Owens built. That boat with a 40 or 60 ETEC will float and run in about 4 inches of water. There are not any other boats that I know of that will do that. And Steve, the guy with the insane XF-20, only has a 30 or so HP Yamaha Jet drive outboard on that 20 foot boat. He can run in spit with 3 or 4 people on board. Do you know of any 20 foot boat that will do that?

I don't think that building is for everyone though. You've got to want to build your own boat, and have plenty of time devoted to do it. Also, don't go into the process thinking that you're going to save a whole lot of money. All the parts add up if you rig it out like any production boat.

On the new design. I like it, but really think it needs to carry the cat's back or add a pocket tunnel to make it perfect. As the drawings are now, I think it will eat up the chop though.

When I get some more building room, I plan on building the PH-22. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'll cut a tunnel in it. I probably won't as I've got my little tunnel boat to run the marsh with. Of course, I won't be doing anything with it until I get a nice metal shop to build it in. And I don't have room at my current house for that. :(

Take care,
Tim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts