2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can you Launch a Boat to get back into Christmas bay. I live in the Clearlake area, and was wondering if there was a boat launch along FM 2004 besides the Chocolate Bayou Bridge. I was driving down that way today and saw a sign for some marina down a gravel road. Anyone know what the marina is called, or the closest place to launch from Clearlake to get back into Christmas.

Thanks

Mark

·
Texas Lady Angler
2,410 Posts
There's a marina up Bastrop Bayou -- believe it is called Bastrop Marina. Also the Ernies ramp is still on Christmas but I believe that Ernies itself is closed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you can launch at the old koa at slp its open. and there is bastrop marina but no gravel road. go down 2004 till you see the liverpool turn (right) and you will see the sign for bastrop marina. take a left go up a little ways and take another left and follow the signs. marina is just past the bridge. all they sell for bait is shrimp. can be a little tricky getting out to the bay watch and follow the pvc markers.

·
<------my fishing buddy
513 Posts
The two easiest access boat ramps are Ernies, Ernies bait house is closed due to Ike but the boat ramp is still there. Too bad because it was a great place to get bait and eat lunch, lots of good fishermen to visit with during lunch. The KOA boat ramp is good also, just turn right after you come across the toll bridge. If you launch at the KOA ramp make sure you stay close to the shore on the west side and hug the house docks on the west side until you get into SLP then hang a left to Christmas. I have never put in were you are talking about off of FM 2004 but I have "heard" that it can be a little tricky getting through chocolate if your boat drafts a little deep. Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ernies and the old KOA are the closest ramps to Christmas. On Bastrop there is Bastrop Marina andMarlins across the bayou and a public ramp under the bridge. From Chocolate bayou at 2004 it is a long long boat ride to christmas and if you don't know the way across west bay it can be tricky.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Is there still a ramp at Swan Lake? Just west of where the old intracoastal splits off into Drum Bay? There is road off of Bluewater Highway that dead ends into the intracoastal and there used to be a ramp there? Does anyone know if that one is still open?

·
non-politically correct
7,304 Posts
Swan Lake ramps are alive & well. Launched there over the weekend. Good shape.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I alway use Bastrop Marina..... Nice people and easy on and easy off. I have used the Old KOA Camp next to the SLP, too many people and not enough parking, I am not to keen on leaving my truck on the highway!

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
Ditto......

And I wouldn't use the Swan Lake ramp after a strong front, gets pretty shallow in there.
I have tested the limits of my cat making the run down the old ICW to Christmas Bay. There are spots where you better be able to run in less than a foot of water...

I do like the ramp at Swan Lake though. It's great if you have small boat.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
put in at bridge bait you can be in christmas in about 20 minutes, better yet I you can navigate through bastrop that is even closer for you, takeright at intercaostal take the next left into bastrop bay stay to the left of the pylons till you get to the old oil well take a lft and stay in the chanel and you will be in x-mas bay remembeg it will be shallow to the left entering the bay

·
Registered
853 Posts
He speak truth

put in at bridge bait you can be in christmas in about 20 minutes, better yet I you can navigate through bastrop that is even closer for you, takeright at intercaostal take the next left into bastrop bay stay to the left of the pylons till you get to the old oil well take a lft and stay in the chanel and you will be in x-mas bay remembeg it will be shallow to the left entering the bay
Yeah Fish Tx, several have posted about "left/right or follow the pylons/PVC poles". There is no mercy is you are on the wrong side. If you're not sure, putt along until you are sure. The bad stuff is either hard as a ...an oyster shell or sticky/slippery like owl pooky.

·
SECEDE
702 Posts
Question; If you are heading down the Intercoastal from Surfside towards Westbay, there is an intersection of channels. I think to the left is Alligator Lake and to the right is the top of Bastrop Bay. Do you have to be running a skinny boat to make it down into Christmas and then Cold Pass? How hairy is it through there.

·
Banned
1,349 Posts
:spineyes: what he said!!

in other words....just put in at Ernies and you're there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts