2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to hear from any Blue Wave owners out there, pros/cons in Gen these bay boats.
Got my eye on the 2010 1900 STL tunnel hull at the boat show.

Also any input on the Suzuki 140 four stroke.
Dealer wants $1300 to upgrade from 115 to 140hp.
Is it worth the money for this 19 footer.

All comments welcome.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Blue wave

Wanted to hear from any Blue Wave owners out there, pros/cons in Gen these bay boats.

All comments welcome.
Blue waves are descent boats for the money. It all depends what you want out of it. I would go for the motor up-grade. You wont regret getting the bigger motor and the heavier weight on that boat wont make much difference. Also look at getting a jackplate.

·
Twitch..Twitch--->Boom
5,308 Posts
I have a 2200 Pure Bay and it has been a good boat. I cant really complain. It runds good, shallow enough for me, lots of storage, lots of rod storage, smooth ride, dry. I like them!

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
My brother had the 18 footer with an Evinrude 115 that hauled as fast as he needed. He liked it and was glad he upgraded from the 90 h.p. IMO save your $1300.00 and take the 115. CF?

·
Chasing Tail Since 1975
753 Posts
I own a '01 189 tunnel hull with a Johnson 150hp and love the boat. I suggest going with the bigger motor. I fish POC and the only places I can't go are the VERY shallow back lakes. I highly recommend a jackplate as having one has allowed me to fish A LOT more areas. Boat is very solid.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Preciate all the good comments will consider all in my decision.
Jack plate, 4 blade prop a must.
thanks for the input.......

·
Registered
398 Posts

All comments welcome.
After owning 10 or more boats in my lifetime, I am of the opinion to always, always put the biggest motor the rating plate allows. A larger motor will not have to work as hard as the smaller and you will burn less fuel...unless you run 5500 rpms everytime you're on plane.

·
Saved by the Grace of God
4,014 Posts
Construction on Blue Waves is very good! Fit and finish is also very good and on the upper end of rolled edge boats. The "traditional" hull design is smooth riding, but can be a little wet. However, great boats! I was considering the 22ft extreme back a few years ago and almost pulled the trigger. Kind of wish I did.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Get the 140 and a jack plate. I have had a BW for 7 years and it has been a very good boat for my needs. With the jack plate I can get shallow enough for my needs. If I had one thing to change when I bought mine, it would have been to get the 150 instead of the 115.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You will regret it if you go with the 115. Like everybody else is saying, always get the most motor you can afford. For 1300, it will be worth it. You will need the extra power especially if you like to take family and friends out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own a 2002 220 Classic. I absolutely love the boat. Mine has performed extremely well. Of course there are other boats out there that get shallower and run faster but if your looking for a solid well built boat that does about everything you can't beat a Blue Wave. I run mine in the shallows and take it off shore in the summer. The prices on BW's also are quite competitive. I got the chance to finally meet the Park's family at the Houston Boat Show this weekend. They were outstanding down to earth folks. I really enjoyed talking to them and it was a pleasure to meet them. I can't wait to go to the boat owners tournament this year.
To answer your question I would go with the larger motor. It's always nice to have the added power and in the long run is usually the better choice. Good luck in your decision and if you purchase make sure to post some pics!

·
Registered
631 Posts
I would say my biggest complaint about packaged boat deals is that the engines included, while good enough, typically are on the lower end of the boats HP rating. I assume that dealers do this to help keep the package price down a bit and to advertise a good "boat show" price. However, as others have stated, I would purchase all the HP that you can afford. You don't need the maximum HP rating for you boat, but you would be happiest if you at least are closer to the maximum than the minimum.

For instance, if the minimum rating for that boat is 115 and the max is say 150. You would be much more pleased with that 140 than the 115.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I concur. Largest motor possible w/ jack plate, cavitation plate, and transom wedges.

For an entry level, do it all boat, I think Blue Wave is a good choice.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I have a 170 super tunnel and in my opinion, you should upgrade. Blue waves have a large tunnel so the larger motor would offest some of its drag.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Get the bigger motor. Speed on the water is half the fun. I have a 115 on mine and get to around 40 mph and wished I had gone to a 150. Hate it when I 'm running at 40 mph and people are passing me up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts