2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks

New to the forum!! Got pointed here off 24 hour campfire and glad I found this spot. Needed info on transom repair and have that underway.

Here is the question. When young, we all do dumb things. Used to take our 17 footer way out of POC. Caught all kinds of fish years ago. Then life got in the way. I"m now 41 and bought a used Hydra Sport 21 foot. And have a small lot off Caranchua Bay so I can fish not only Matagorda but hop across and run out the jetties at POC again for the first time since I was 20 years old.

Now I understand how dumb we were, not having boating class etc....

Please point me in the direction of what I should take and where and how to become educated before I venture past sight of land again. I know that as soon as I get the boat up and running, and find calm weather those jetties will tempt the crud out of me again.

Also can I get by with a reasonable GPS and reasonably cheap VHF radio? I don't care for more electronics than I need so couple that with a depthfinder and I'm off.

And I'm not averse to reading material on how to catch what kinds of fish, fish identities etc.... I don't wany your hotspots, just how to do it and what to look for. Years back it was easy to catch mostly kings real quick off shrimp boats or rigs with cigars or ribbon fish trolled or drifted. I don't have a clue whats up these days and some snapper and AJ, Ling etc... would be interesting.

I suspect I don't have any business getting to far offshore either so I imagine that 20-30 miles is my limit in the small 21 foot in good weather. Maybe not even that far. We never had GPS so no clue how far out we used to run, but we used to chase blue water anyway which could be from the jetties to who knows how far out.

Thanks for your time and patience!!!

Jeff

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
I would not ever consider a cheap radio. You must have at least 8' on stanless steel mounts as high as you can get it. Garman GPS 76 map is good if your eyes are good.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Although ,I didn't start fishing until later in life and boating maybe six years ago I learned many lessons from reading , expereince and most importantly from expereinced friends.
The first thing I would suggest is that you get a gps device that can be operated both by battery(carry extra batteries) and hooked up by cigarette outlet on your boat. Don't settle for a cheap VHF becuase your life and others may depend on it. Get one with DSC, they really aren't that expensive. Get a realiable compass and an updated offshore map that includes compass bearing grids. They come in handy when murphy messes with your electronics. Last and most important, a friend of mine suggested that you wear your life vest at all times and in that vest (if it has pockets, if not make some) carry:1-high pitch whistle, 2-some sort of visual signaling device like a flare(in a ziplock) or a mirror. Also, it wouldn't hurt to carry a protien bar. Waiting in the water makes you very hungry. Any USPS squadron or TPW class on boating should be offered regularly in your area. These are good to have. Hope this helps and good luck with your boat and fishing.

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so far. I always wear a vest as I swim like a rock. I hadn't thought of the survival stuff though, although I carry it when backpacking, why not when fishing.

I'll look into better radios, makes total sense. Had not thought of battery backup though I'll be running 2 batteries, one for acc. and one for the engine. Don't have a clue on DSC but I'll search some. I can see the whistle, mirror, and possible a mini flare or two and some dye and a cliff bar or two, then I get anal and think tiny deal of sunscreen and maybe a few water packs-- question is, do I carry that all on my vest, or make up a survival pack with a float-- even a small duffle with a life vest in it to float it all. Or just carry a whistle,mirror, flare and clif bar on me and the rest in a bag?

Also I am really juggling the EPIRB thing. I could use one on wilderness hunts,its between that and a Sat Phone.

Our area doesn't offer anything regularly :eek:) but thats the joy of living in the country!! I"ll do some more searching-- I was thinking more of coast guard classes kinda.

Which brings up another question-- you can tell how green I am- whats required on a 21 foot boat, state tags, and kind of federal tag? Any kind of "license to operate" I'd think that the license to operate should be required as a kind of coast guard class for anyone with a boat, but alas common sense often does not rule at all.

As you can tell I have not made time to snoop in the TPW site yet either, hoping I can get quick answers here instead of trolling through lots of reading there.

Thanks again, Jeff

·
Banned
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay folks, did some quick searching- anyone willing to do a brand name on radios for a good suggestion and where to find them IE bass pro, west marine, of course any place with good prices is good.

BTW I have 2 Garmin Rhinos that I can download maps to, might be a good backup system at that rate?

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
pm jtburf on this site, he can get you the best price on your vhf or whatever electronics.

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
VHF radio brand...

rost495 said:
Okay folks, did some quick searching- anyone willing to do a brand name on radios for a good suggestion and where to find them IE bass pro, west marine, of course any place with good prices is good.

BTW I have 2 Garmin Rhinos that I can download maps to, might be a good backup system at that rate?
ICOM---There is a gaggle of others but go with ICOM 502 with DSC. Also go with a Digital brand antenna, 8 ft, 6db gain on a good stainless ratchet style mount as high as you can get it on the boat.

PM John (jtburf) at Tightline Rods (site sponsor) for good information, pricing and service that can't be beat!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.