2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Whoever invented work couldn't fish
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a break from custom orders (coffee tables and fireplace mantels) which freed me up to getting back to the really creative and artistic stuff that I enjoy doing. I had this twisted piece of black walnut that I got from a hill country ranch last year. It looks like it either just sheared off from the base of the tree or was a result of a lighting strike that caused it to shear away as there was a charred area. Anyway, it sat around my shop for a year before it finally struck me that it would make an awesome looking marlin sculpture, twisting it's way and breaking the surface of the ocean. It's a fairly large piece almost three feet tall, and about 20" wide. The coloration for the eye detail and the vertical striping is a series of crushed stone inlay. The finish is a clear gloss that enhances the natural beauty of the black walnut. This is an abstract/stylistic piece as you'll see in the last picture, the backside of the carving reveals the natural element to the twisted walnut. Even though it has a curving, gentle twist, the piece is hard as a rock. The base is made from mesquite. The pictures are both in natural light as well as indoor lighting.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Compliments, for sure! I envy you that artistic talent--I can only work in moderately straight lines and nearly square corners.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Oh My! How beautiful is that piece. I absolutely love it and can imagine the time and effort to do something like that, but can see it was worth that time and effort. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Wow!!! That is awesome!!! Inlay really sets it off. Where is that art going to end up?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Whoever invented work couldn't fish
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!!! That is awesome!!! Inlay really sets it off. Where is that art going to end up?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hopefully in the home or office of one of those "bluewater" boys. I'd love to see it go to a 2cooler and I'll be posting it on my website next week.

Thanks for all of the gracious comments...

·
OllllO
8,874 Posts
I'm by no means a wealthy guy but I'm interested in this piece! I love collecting woodworkings created by 2coolers... I have many things created by this group.

Shoot me a PM with your asking price.

·
Registered
299 Posts
WOW, that Marlin is FREAKING AWESOME. I wished I had a place to display it as its by far one of the nicest pieces of woodwork Ive seen. Beautiful Beautiful work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts