2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How good are the Garmin bluecharts for fishing, do they show rigs, cut off rigs, wrecks and so on, thanks in advance.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
They are removing rigs from the Gulf so fast that no chart will be completely accurate as far as rigs go.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
Jared said:
Why are they removing the rigs, are they just done using them?
The reservoirs are depleted.

The company that owns them has to remove the structure with in one year of permanently shutting it in. These days when they remove a platform the sea bed has to be returned to its original condition. That means not a single tire or wrench will be left behind. Nothing but smooth sea bed.

203 Posts
Jared said:
How good are the Garmin bluecharts for fishing, do they show rigs, cut off rigs, wrecks and so on, thanks in advance.
RIGS, BOUYS, AND CHANNEL MARKERS ARE PRETTY MUCH ON, BUT THE WRECKS DON'T MATCH UP TOO GOOD. I HAVE BOTH FOR THE GOM AND THEY REALLY HELPED ME OUT IN NEW PLACES. I THINK THEY ARE WORTH THE MONEY.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Some of the rigs are being removed because of the reservoirs are being depleted but there are more being found. Others like the one I am on right now are being deconstructed because their deck sections were taken out by Rita and Katrina. They are cut to the -85' level (below the surface of the water) and left as an artificial reef. There are also debris piles surrounding the sections (jacket members) that serve as such. Not too many people know about them as of yet, but I'm sure they will be published in the future by the Coast Guard. I'm personally keeping tabs on all the structures we work on for future fishing trips. Right now we are 100 miles south of Lake Charles in 161' of water and it's holding Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Cobia and Grouper like you wouldn't believe. For the ordinary boater, there is nothing here yet to those of us that work on these projects we know something lies beneath the surface.

And to answer your question.... The bluechart version will have all rigs that are permenant on it and some that are non-existent. If you see a rig on your gps that isn't visible, ride over it with your gps. There is something beneath the water for sure 95% of the time. The information on there is because there used to be a rig or structure there. Good fishing to ya!!

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
There are a few platforms being chopped off below the water line but not nearly enough. It costs a lot more to keep part of the structure in place than it does to just remove the entire thing. As for toppling one it is completely cost prohibitive because of the cleaning and stripping that has to be done. If a platform is toppled it is because the state subsidized it. If debris piles are being left behind its because some one or a company is not doing what they are suppose to do and the MMS will catch up with them sooner or later. This is the kinda old school [email protected] that can get a company into big trouble these days.

I wish that more companies would leave some of the structure in place after they P&A a platform. Most companies don't including the one that I work for which is the largest lease holder in the Gulf.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Calmday, let me insure you that everything we are doing is in compliance with MMS. We are actually working for the oil companies who's structures were damaged during these storms. They cannot be abandoned and have strict guidelines to follow. All debris piles and structure points are being given to MMS and they have final approval on whether or not they can leave things once done.

On a side note, of the 10 or so structures I've been involved with, there is plenty of habitat left over. Most have the actual base of the structures left in place. Reason for this is that they cannot lift the jackets off the sea floor without damaging the wells not to mention it is not cost effective. Better off leaving them as artificial reefs.

All the wells are P&A and any materials that have hydrocarbons on them HAVE to be REMOVED.

Another thing to remember is that the Coast Guard and MMS regulate the point where a structure has to be chopped off at. This structure we are on has to be cut off at that -85' level. That isn't something the oil company decided... it was regulated to them. So if there are structures out there that are not cut and pierce the water, trust me... someone will be cutting it down in the future. There are a lot of damaged, and destroyed structures in the gulf and they predict the work to continue for the next 10 or so years. It's just a matter of getting the vessels to do the work.

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
I think we are talking about two different things. I'm talking about an oil company abandoning a facility because it is no longer of value as an asset to that company. You are talking about facilities that have sustained damage from the hurricanes. The way in which the facilities that I'm talking about are removed is covered in the CFRs. We are not allowed to deviate from what that CFR dictates without a waver. When we abandon an old facility all of the wells are plugged, cemented and the casings are chopped off 100' below the mud line. The structure is then completely removed and divers and/or a ROV goes down to survey the location to insure that there is not a single piece of debris left behind.

Thankfully I don't have to deal with any storm damaged facilities. I honestly don't have any idea what the MMS is letting operators get away with.

In 91 we dropped a 4000tone topside module in 2000 feet of water and the MMS said that we had to have it removed with in a year. Its still there today LOL

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
I'm a desk jockey for Chevron these days. I started out with Texaco offshore. I really miss being in the field. I used to absolutely love my job now I just go to work because I don't have any choice. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts