2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I highly recommend getting/following a training PROGRAM not just a book. Order FowlDogs. 3 dvds, VERY comprehensive, $30 bucks each and the first one will hold you for a few months. IDK where you are at with training now or how old your dog is, but there is alot of work to do up until you get to 'casting'.

That being said, im on my first dog and im no expert. FowlDogs has helped me a great deal and I've been through a few different training aids and quite a bit of money.

·
W.W.
7,397 Posts
Theres a lot more to what I'm about to post, Go to a grown up field, mow a cut in it about 10' wide about 75 yrds long, close to the middle mow a cut across the main cut going out to each side about 10-20 yrds. Place your dummy at the end in sight the first cpl of retrieves, then just out of sight then a little farther. In order for your dog to take hand signals you have to be able to stop him (her) with a whistle, once you have the dog stopping with a whistle, go and place the dummy in the R or L lane in sight at the end, when you stop your dog, point in the dummies direction, as soon as he looks the way your wanting him to go give him your fetch command, it won't take long for it to catch on. I learned this from a good friend although I'm thinking it is in Bill Tarrants book 'Hey pup fetch it up'. My cousin had went with us one morn and my buddies dog hadn't missed all day, my cousin was amazed already when my friend sent the dog on a long retrieve, about 100 yrds out my buddy stopped the offcourse Lab with the whistle and pointed towards the bird and said "South" away the dog went, while he was bringing the bird back my cousin said he had seen it all now "that dog even knows N from S".....WW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts