2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had quite a day with Jeff/manintheboat on his ride the Chingadora on Friday. One of our crew had mechanical difficulty so it was just Jeff and I. Plan was to head out early (about 6) and run all the way to our first spot and fish back in. Heading down the ICW we noticed the bottom machine showed no bottom. Tweaked it along the way and could get nothing, not even depth. Old SiTex! (Jeff, can you say FURUNO!) So decided since we were armed with Riks book (and all of the spots are dead on, we did not need no stinkin sounder) we would go for it. Seas of course were like a lake, so we were able to run at about 30 kts. First spot produced a few ok snaps and a few kings. Also, sharks were everywhere! Had two dorado follow a hooked fish up and were able to get a bait to it. Jeff hooked the first one and I kept a lookout for the second one. Sure enough, mahi # 2 nailed my 1 oz snapper slapper. Jeff got his in the boat, and the one I had gave us quite an arial display. Boated that one with alittle anxiousness on my part. (had a couple of misses from my leader man, but we stuck em on the third attempt)Wow, what a kick. Two nice Mahi in the box. Not too worried anymore about all the snapper we cant find. Still on to other spots. Hit several places heading back in. Finally we found a spot with more than a few decent snapper, but still catching way too many sharks. Next thing I know, i am doubled over with something that has no intension of coming off the bottom. One Heck of a big something! Of course so not to jinx myself I say its probably another dang shark! Fight went back and forth. several times this fish peeled drag off the shimano charter special. Starting to think maybe an AJ, but Jeff was the optimist, predicting a sow snap. Finally after what seemed like 10 minutes we saw red coming up. Wow, best snap I've caught in seveal years. Pushing 25 lbs. Finished our two man limit of snapper...thank goodness! That fish did me in. Thanks Jeff! Glad we finally made it out together. Just think what we will do when you get that new bottom machine!
Chris

Attachments

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,918 Posts
OOPS. I guess we were posting at the same time. You know it is a good day, when the phrase, "jeff, if you lose this fish for me, I am going to f-ing kill you" gets said twice. LOL.

It was great to had you aboard, Chris. I had a blast.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts