2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blast & Cast Men's Ministries held one of two annual Rockport Duck Hunts this past weekend. While the weather wasn't very cooperative, I think overall the event ended up being a great success. Pastor Rob's (Tropicalsun) messages were very thought provoking and set a nice tone for the event.

For me, this year's event seemed a lot more laid back than in the past, I think mostly as a result of the weather. Friday morning the wind and rain kept the majority of boats in the parking lot and only a few brave (crazy) men went hunting on Friday morning. But, the downtime provided a lot of welcome fellowship time and I really enjoyed getting to know several of the guys a lot better. As usual, the food was awesome both nights, but I think the prime rib on Saturday night was everyone's favorite.

As for the hunting, I think this year was the worst I've seen it in some time. The groups that braved the high winds, torrential rains and rough waters Friday morning were rewarded with heavy straps. But for the rest of the weekend most groups struggled to even get their Redheads. Despite the tough hunting, we still took a banded bull sprig, a double banded Redhead and a handful of men/young men shot their very first ducks.

We've definitely had much better "hunting" trips in the past, but, I believe I enjoyed this event as much as any I've attended. Good fellowship, good food and good times.

I'm sure others will chime in here with comments and pics, so for now, I'll just
say THANK YOU to all of the volunteers that make these events happen. There is no way we could do it without y'all.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,133 Posts
Sounds like a really nice time was had by all. Congrats on the banded ducks. That sounds like a great event to be a part of.

·
KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON!
2,687 Posts
hey palerider..i hope you dont mind but i stole your pic for my desktop picture

·
Registered
26 Posts
Who sets up these blast and cast weekends, I used to be involved with a group of guys, but have not heard from them in a while. The one that I was invloved in was headed up by James R. Is the same group?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It was a great weekend. Blast and Cast events are always fun, but this year was particularly good for me. I was one of the "crazies" that went out Friday morning. What a blast! Hunting in the pouring rain and 20-30 mph winds was a new experience. We were rewarded with a great hunt. It was especially rewarding to be out with six guys who seemed to enjoy that bad weather as much as I did.

I can't say enough about the food at these events. The cook off was great. The prime rib was better.

Really looking forward to the next event.

Keep the change...

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
Who sets up these blast and cast weekends, I used to be involved with a group of guys, but have not heard from them in a while. The one that I was invloved in was headed up by James R. Is the same group?
I know James, and he is a member on 2cool, but he isn't involved with Blast & Cast Men's Ministries (other than encouragement and prayer support of course). He was where the original idea came from years and years ago, when a guy named Tim started a men's retreat for a church in Baytown that loosely copied what James did, and that is how I got involved. When the men's retreat stopped, BBDuck and I took over but changed the focus to an outreach ministry and away from a church centered event so that we could focus on men that don't go to church rather than men who already do. We now have three chapters (Houston, East Texas, and Central Texas) hosting 5 flaship events every year plus some smaller scale stuff. Lots of guys from 2cool and TxWaterfowler.com come to the events and it has been a very effective ministry.

Hope that helps put it into perspective for ya.

·
We all have it coming......
8,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know James, and he is a member on 2cool, but he isn't involved with Blast & Cast Men's Ministries (other than encouragement and prayer support of course). He was where the original idea came from years and years ago, when a guy named Tim started a men's retreat for a church in Baytown that loosely copied what James did, and that is how I got involved. When the men's retreat stopped, BBDuck and I took over but changed the focus to an outreach ministry and away from a church centered event so that we could focus on men that don't go to church rather than men who already do. We now have three chapters (Houston, East Texas, and Central Texas) hosting 5 flaship events every year plus some smaller scale stuff. Lots of guys from 2cool and TxWaterfowler.com come to the events and it has been a very effective ministry.

Hope that helps put it into perspective for ya.
Wow!! Glad you saw that question first. I don't know James, so I would have just said "no." :D LOL

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cool, I helped James years ago with the original Blast and cast. I live in Rockport, and love to hunt and fish. If yall need help down here in the future, please give me a shout. I can shuttle people to and from blinds or whatever you need. It is 2cool to see that it is still happening.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
It was a great time. Everyone did a great job, but $200 for 3 nights lodging, 3 hunts, a bunch of meals (including awesome prime rib) door prizes and good friends, I think I overpaid, HA!! I was one of the nuts that went out Friday AM, it was one of those "what the heck am I doing this for" mornings. BUt then I remembered why when the ducks were thick as mosquitos. If we had shot better we could have left about 2 hours earlier, but we were waiting to get the last 3-4 birds. I got a lot of gadwall over the weekend including a really nice drake that is sitting at the taxi's freezer right now. A BW drake and my red heads. Thanks again Capn and Brad and Art and everyone else for a great weekend I really needed.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Great Weekend with great people, great food, great conversation, and a great message! "Keep The Change"!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts