2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, let me tell one type of fishing that I like to do, then see if anyone has input on a blank for it. I find slopes and humps in 15' to 25' of water in the middle of Lake Livingston. I cast 1 & 3/8 ounce lead slab spoons, sometimes considerable distances. After they hit bottom, I jig them back and fish usually hit on the fall of the spoon, so sensitivity is important. I use a Curado with 14# line. So far, a rod made with an IP844 type blank works fairly well even though the lead spoons are so heavy. I am seriously considering making a rod with a Rainshadow HS9001 blank. My thought is that it would help with casting but still have the sensitive tip. I think we all like to fish with a rod we made ourselves. I am not fancy with the thread work, but I do like being able to have the handle length and shape for my preference. Any input?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Been a while Don, I know where you're going with this and regardless of the blank and lenght make sure it's one gauge stiffer than you like. For instance, if you flex and swing a blank till you finally find one to your liking such as a ***** M Big Water blank get a *****MH which is a little stiffer. After you put all the junk on a lot of people gripe about ending up with a coach whip. Good building to you.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Paul if you've read Kistlers forum all they offer in Kistler blanks is seconds and they're offered on Ebay. I think anyone would be better off picking up a blank from a company that offers first rate blanks at great prices. Although they have a decent finished rod I would be leery of building a rod on a blank that didn't make match up to their standards to end up in their completed rod lineup. Companies like Rainshadow, American Tackle, Castaway, Phenix, Lamiglass and others are very well proven and are offered at great prices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've built a few of the HS9001s and use them as finesse rods. They work great throwing a 1/16 oz shakey head and finesse worm, but it's over powered throwing a bait over 1 oz. I wouldn't even throw a bait that heavy with the HS932.

The other problem I think you'll have with the 9001 is keeping them on after hook up. The extra fast action will not absorb the head shakes. A slab that heavy with a single treble creates a lot of leverage for the fish when they surface and shake and you want something with a deeper flex than the 9001 to absorb those shakes.

What IP844 are you fishing? What would you like to be different? I sell a bunch of Castaway 965s and CB80Hs to guys for throwing flutter spoons which are the same weight and fished the same.

·
MHX Pro Staff
1,355 Posts
Give the guys at Mudhole in Oveido, Fl a call. Todd was a rod designer at Lamiglas for quite a while. Bob and Scott have been in the custom rod business for a long time.
Swampland Tackle in LA is a great place as well. Lance and Bill are very knoweldgable as well.
Either of those places well be happy to help you.

·
Retired opinionated old fart
19,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I sure appreciate all the help. Two finished rods I have used and like are the Castaway Popping SMCS7 (saltwater Medium Casting Short handle 7')and the Carolina Rig CRM68 (Carolina Rig Medium 6'8"). I like the action of the Carolina Rig rod best, but like the length of the popping rod since some days the fish want the bait lifted fairly high off the bottom as you work it. I seek a 7'6" rod with an action like the 6'8" Carolina Rig rod. It sounds like maybe I need to consider a rod designed for crank baits, if I understand the numbers 2Coolers have suggested?

I admit I did not know that Castaway sold blanks. I have dealt with Mudhome some, but discovered Swampland last night while searching around for the suggestions that have been made.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts