2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got back from Port A and we caught some bft. How are they to eat and what is the best way to cook them?

How long can you freeze them before they go bad?

Thanks,
BC

report and pics later today

·
Salty Dawg
7,701 Posts
I like it blackened with a little pink in the middle. If there are any left over's break it up and finish cooking it through and make tuna salad.

They don't keep to long. I try and have them gone within 2 or three weeks.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Bryan ..... they're really rank and don't taste good so you may as well send them to me....:)

Seriously. I generally grill them with a pink hot center. For seasonings you can use your choice of Zatarains, Tony C, lemon pepper, garlic (or use them all). Before cooking I like to put them in a gallon ziplock bag laced with EVOO, melted butter and a dash of soy sauce (and maybe a little cooking wine) for at least 30 minutes. .

If you have a canner or know someone who does can some and you'll throw rocks at Star Kist the rest of your life.

Enjoy!

Bobby

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
I baked some in the oven at 350 until it was just done, used lemon, butter and tony's, tasted pretty good, used the left overs for "mo' betta' than a can" tunafish salad....

·
Registered
645 Posts
I would cook as much of the BFT as possible since it doesn't freeze for sheeet! I personally can't taste the difference btwn BFT and YFT but the difference I do notice is that the BFT doesn't hold up well in the freezer as the YFT does. We sometimes make tuna salad for the week. You can eat the BFT sashimi with some soy and wasabi or cook it on the grill with a little bit of salt and pepper. Hope this helps.....Paul

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Cook? Tuna? I'm confused. ;)

IF I cook it at all, I roll it in olive oil and then in crushed black pepper or seasame sees and put it on a very very hot fire just enough to cook the outside. When you cut it, it should have about 1 cm of white and the rest red.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
if you wrap it in meat paper (like the kind they pick up do-nuts with at a do-nut shop) then vaccuum pack it, it will stay for a very long time.

Cooking: that is up to you. I'm with "hawgs" on his cooking technique.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mr. Tuffy:

Does that technique also work well on AJ? I vaccuum seal Snapper, Grouper, Ling, and other fish and don't have a problem with them at all. However, the AJ and BFT tend to get really fishy when I defrost them. I have just about given up on freezing AJ. Thanks....Paul

·
Registered
529 Posts
keeps for >a year if vacuum sealed. blackfin, IMO, is every bit as tasty as YFT, nice and pink when fresh.
remove the blood line before cooking or freezing.
raw or seared with a torch is nice along with some soy and wasabi.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I sear mine after a quick dip in soy mixed with a little seasame oil and ginger. But I have a dipping sauce that is the best take 6oz. sour cream and 2 tblspns of dry wasabi powder and 2 tblspns of honey mix well then put in fridge for an hour or so if you like wasabi you will love it its not to hot but great flavor.

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Thawing tecnique matters

Your fishy tasting vacuum sealed frozen blackfin could be due to how you get it unfrozen. Thaw in the refrigerator only. It'll take over night at least so no last minute, "Let's have tuna for dinner." Quick thaw techniques are the kiss of death on high fat fish like tuna/macks/AJs. Also, if it breaks seal you'll get that nasty fishy flavor too.

Most of ours goes to sashimi, days 1,2,3 and 4 (fish kept vertically head down in crushed ice with drain plug out of ice chest). It keeps getting better until after day 3 BTW. Next step (Day 5) is tataki style, that's the fast grilled 1/4 inch in technique mentioned above. Then (Day 6) tuna salad and finally the rest is vacuum sealed and frozen. We don't ever sashimi the frozen stuff but 6 months later they're still excellent tataki. Blackfin doesn't freeze as well as YFT because it has a higher fat content but that's why it makes better sashimi if handled well. I know Venice Eddie believes they are only fit for bait but I have to disagree.

When I have served BF sashimi to Japanese trained sushi chefs (4 or 5 times) they have all considered it equal to bluefin, but they've never heard of it. Maybe the Japanese discovered them and that's why we've got all the blankity blank long liners out there now.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
When you get tired of the BFT grilled, blackeded and raw, bring some water, lightly salted and with about 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, to a boil and add small pieces of tuna filet (about 2" square x 1" thick) and cook until blanched. Remove and let cool, then refrigerate. Flake the meat up and make some tuna salad just, seasoned to your liking. Let it set in the 'fridge for a couple of hours and serve it over a fresh bed of lettuce or, if you have some good vine ripened ones, stuff some tomatoes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
cooking and freezing BFT

Vacuum seal the bft. I have had no problems with the quailty of the meat or the taste of it doing it this way. As for cooking it, I like to smoke it. If you are going to be eat it right then, I cook it at 250 degrees for about 20 min. with indirect heat. If you want to make tuna salad out of it cook it for 2-2 and half hours at the same temp.After it cools chop it up real good a food processer does it the best. This sounds like a long time but when you add the mayo back to make the salad it will become moist again. Before you smoke it season it with the types of seasons you like.I like to use mrs dash , lemon pepper , tony's sasarey , and garlic. Ohter fish like AJ , King and shark can be smoked also to make fish salad.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the input

I am sharing the fish and all of the recipes with some guys at the office. Thanks for all the information!!!!

BC

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
bleed your tuna while alive, head down into a 5 gal bucket, keep them very cold in ice

go to the asian market and buy pure dark sesame oil , not the soybean blend kind from heb etc

mine says kadoya on the bottle.

roll in fresh crushed garlic, green onion chopped , black pepper and dark sesame oil, let sit 15 mins , then high heat grill till white seared only, serve on a bed of greens with asian ginger dressing from heb

·
Registered
485 Posts
Chicken Fried Tuna w/Jalapeno cream gravy only way to eat BF tuna! If anyone wants the receipe will be glad to fax it to them. Email me with fax number to send receipe to and I be glad to share it with you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts