2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this so I may and probably will ask some dumb questions. Can you catch Blackfin at the Clay Piles between Freeport and Galveston? What is the general rule for the depth generally speaking for Blackfin Tuna? 150, 200, 250, 300ft? Please give a newbe some advice?

·
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time
4,273 Posts
What is the general rule for the depth generally speaking for Blackfin Tuna? 150, 200, 250, 300ft? Please give a newbe some advice?
My answer would be 300+, with more emphasis on the + being changed instead to a X sign :fish: maybe behind a parked/drifting shrimp boat or a deep water rig..

I grilled some last night on our habachi, seared on both sides and still pink in the middle with some sort of sorta sweet japaneese type dippin sauce.... MMMmmm Mmm

I'll Make ya wanna go home and slap somebody.. :smile:

JMO--some good stuff if cooked right...

Hog

·
Registered
717 Posts
I think it has alot to do with were your fishing out of. I usualy fish out of Sabine Pass since I live 15min from there and we have probable the worst port on the entire gulf coast in terms of shallow water since at 100mi out we are typicly in only 200ft of water. That being said I have cought several blackfin behind shrimp boats in shallow being 150ft but more cominly in 175-200ft of water. So in comparison to when I go out of Freeport thats extremly shallow but for us less fourtunate who have to fish out of Sabine Pass thats usualy 80mi plus out. I also think water clearity has a good bit to do with it as in other species like dolphin in that on days that the good blue water is in closer I have cought these particular fish in that is typicaly a lil shallow. Hope that helps you a little.

·
sea monkey rancher
18,403 Posts
for any reliable bite you need at least 200' of water and a reason for them to be there......culling shrimpboats or alot of bait around a rig.

·
Fish Assassin
924 Posts
I have targetted blackfin for years in September-November off the Florida Panhandle in 180'. There are some good sized breaks that run for miles. In the fall the bait stacks in there pretty nicely, and kings, blackfin, and aj's get thick, and occasionally a wahoo makes an appearance. So, I'd say that if you know of some good size ridges or breaks that run for a good way in 180+, you can find the blackfin.

As a side-note, the blackfin I was catching in 180' were 18-30# fish. None were <10#. These were not footballs, but proper sized blackfin.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts