2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few top water lures I think should work, but was wondering if there's a go to lure for blackfin. Were making a run to Boomvang Sat. night. I'm coming through Houston fri. so I can stop for tackle if anybody can help me with this. Thanks

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,885 Posts
When I went to Venice, A buddy of mine had a flying fish lure, crazy bird I think it was called, that was probably supposed to be used for trolling, but we were casting it and using a fast retrieve while drifting the floaters. Several Blackfin and one Yellowfin was caught on that lure. A couple of fish were even caught on poppers. Basically I think (i'm not an expert) anything that makes a ruckess on top of the water, while the Tuna are jumping out of the water, will cause a strike.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
If you want them on topwaters, I like the smaller Yo-zuri's, Hydro Tiger I think is what they are called.

For Jigging? The diamond jig is always right on! Just as good, in my book, is the Williamson Benthos in a 5oz, Blue and Silver or Pink and White!

Good luck

Tom - DBG

·
fish control my brain
7,766 Posts
TUNA hunter Jrs. & OTI's chugger

in Dark colors.....

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
You could pick some of our topwater plugs up in Richardson.

www.360tackle.com

No need to upgrade anything.

Good luck and hope you get through the BF and get to the YFT!

·
Malt Beverage Diety
1,385 Posts
Tuna Hunters, OTI (sponsor) has some cool looking poppers...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info. on this, I looked up some of the poppers you gave me and it looks just like some of the ones I all ready have. I'm going to get a few more and with the diamond jigs I have, should be good to go.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Angry frenzy poppers, the glow in the dark one. Good for black fin and yellow fins too

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you were to use a truly humongous popper--say 10 inches to a foot long, like some of the GT poppers, would that tend to discourage the blackfin and give any yellowfin present a better chance at the lure?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm a big fan of the frenzy ones. I used one in Venice and caught a 40 pound YFT on it. Same rod and lure also caught a 20 pound mahi and a half dozen blackfin in a few hours.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts