2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to eat one of these things, but what do ya do to prepare them to eat. Do ya cut there tails off to let them bleed, What is the best size to keep? What are the size and limits that you can keep? What is the best way to catch them , meaning bait and the proper way to rig up. I was just playing around the other day in the surf after the trout would not bite, so I put on some dead shrimp with a surf weight and had a ball, but I doubt I was rigged properly. Someone please help, because this was a blast..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yes, they are great to eat, especially on the grill. I have never bothered with bleeding them, but some do. Just make sure you cut out the bloodline when you clean them. You are allowed one per day, and it must be over 24". In my opinion the best size for eating is 3-4ft. I only keep 1 or 2 a year because shark numbers aren't doing great, but we have a healthy enough population of blacktips that taking a reasonable amount won't hurt the resource.

In terms of rigging up, for starters you need a some kind of a steel leader. Single-strand is fine, but cable is really better, especially if you hook into a big one. For bait, pretty much any kind of cut finfish works. My favorites are ladyfish and mullet, both of which are readily availible in the surf. If you are targeting larger sharks, jacks and stingrays are great, but that is an enitrely different ball game. If I am just fishing for blacktips I use a fishfinder (carolina) rig w/ a spider weight (4-6oz) and 5ft. cable leader. Match the hook size to the size bait you can acquire, if you are using a whole ladyfish or mullet you might want to make a 2 hook rig. Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.