2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found out a bad thing today--i can xtend my season if i have a black powder gun--i know zero about black powder guns--what i want is a very inexpensive gun--- very uncomplicated and need to be accurate to 75 to 100 yds--how many grains do i need to be shooting etc--i know nothing--i want an inexpensive scope-3x9-50-with iluminated retical--please advise:cop:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Sounds like you got most of it figured out. If I were to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would get a break open style in-line.
As far as the powder, I recommend Triple Seven 50 grain pellets for .50 cal.
2 pellets (100 grains) are a good charge, you don't need magnum charges unless you are a glutten for punishment.

·
Remember the Veterans
8,047 Posts
Sounds like you got most of it figured out. If I were to do it over again, knowing what I know now, I would get a break open style in-line.
As far as the powder, I recommend Triple Seven 50 grain pellets for .50 cal.
2 pellets (100 grains) are a good charge, you don't need magnum charges unless you are a glutten for punishment.
Yep. I agree and can't add anyhting else. I have an in-line. Love it.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I have owned 2 CVA's and are pleased with them. There are others that are better.
If you own a TC Contender, you can get a muzzle loader barrel for it. Some shotgun mfg's make muzzle loading barrels for their shotguns. Look on line at Basspro, Gander Mtn, or Cabela's for an assortment.
CVA is a good entry level gun.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I own a $90 dollar Bass Pro shop - .45 CVA - Magbolt that has killed 6+ deer. I also own a $500.00 Knight rolling block which just killed its first deer. most of my shots have been less than 100 yards. Both guns have performed well and knock on wood I have never lost a wounded deer with one.

If I were buying a new gun today I would definetly buy a .50 muzzle loader, that is a break action style. Load it with 100 grains of triple seven and use a 295 grain powerbelt.

Hope this helps.

·
the love of my life
9,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks brother i apreciate the positive feed back i am going to borrow a gun this year untile i can get my own

I own a $90 dollar Bass Pro shop - .45 CVA - Magbolt that has killed 6+ deer. I also own a $500.00 Knight rolling block which just killed its first deer. most of my shots have been less than 100 yards. Both guns have performed well and knock on wood I have never lost a wounded deer with one.

If I were buying a new gun today I would definetly buy a .50 muzzle loader, that is a break action style. Load it with 100 grains of triple seven and use a 295 grain powerbelt.

Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts