2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today was a good day. Work was great, surfed some 2Cool, made a few posts then it happened. I pull in to the drive and what do I see? Yep a 7 foot long PVC pipe by the door. What could it be I ask myself......."self could it be your new Billystix?"

Well it felt like an hour to get the tape off the end. After mucho careful cutting and pulling and biting, I got the end off....wrong end. To the other end. I felt like the father in The Christmas Story with my new "fragilly" prize.

OK now I got the rod out, then discover its wrapped with care in order to preserve the beauty of this new rod wrapped with paper and yep my new BILLYSTIX T_Shirt. Instantly I unwrap the shirt, pull off my current shirt and replace with the long sleeve size medium BILLYSTIX shirt. Yea right! 3X it is! So now I am lookin good and go for the rest!

As the last piece of paper comes off, I discover Billy has throw in a few Coozies. A man can never have enough Coozies. So I fill one of my new coozies with nothing but a Bud. Now for the rod. As I slip off the wrapper of the rod, I get a little emotional. No tears, but that cause my dog was wathchin me. She said to man up already!

Out comes the rod. Well I'm not so good with words and I'm not a talker, but I'll give it a go.

The rod at first glance looks a little funny. I start to think maybe Billy is blind as has been stated before. The first eye from the reel seat is much closer than any rod I have. Second eye is....well crooked. The third eye, even more. Then right back to straight. My daughter says "maybe its a two piece and its twisted." Ha I say! Nice try. This is a new rod Custom made by no less than BILLY himself. As I wonder what would the benefit of the eyes being so "crooked" I recall the day I ordered it. I call BILLYSTIX and Billy answers. I tell him how grateful I am to have been chosen for the December Drawing and he starts asking a few questions. What do you fish for, what do you use for bait? What do you like? Action, length, lure size, line weight etc. He really seemed interested in my fishing style and then asked what colors I like. Not once did he seem hurried and that was it. Done. Well I chose a red and blue with silver trim. Kinda goes with my style. Then he tells me about the spiral, how it works and the benefits of it. I am excited!

As I inspected the rod from butt to tip, I can't help but to smile and say to myself..."Self, this is one crazy looking rod" No trigger but a "comfort hump", and the eyes go crazy. I thought how on earth does this work. I remembered Billy telling me so I strung it up and doubled it over, then it all made sense. The line doesn't rub on the rod like every other rod I own. I own a few, some high dollar, some average. This is by far the most crazy design I have ever seen but, its perfect. No front grip...crazy good graphics of a redfish and then there it is. "Custom built for "insert my reel name" and below that, 24Buds 2010!

This I know, my next rod will sure be a BILLYSTIX. The craftsmanship, the details and the costumer service is second to none. I will own another. My son 3, was a little mad that he didn't get one, but in time, he also will own one.

Billy, Thank you sir. Once I get on the water, I will return for another report. I will bet its going to be a good one.

All the best,

24Buds. Those of you who own one of these knows what I am talking about. Those who don't take my word, its greatness. Christmas in your hands!

WHOOOO I almost forgot. Billy threw in some Chickenboy lures with it.
24Buds is gunna be on FIRE as soon as the freeze lets me paddle the yak out and get after it!

24Buds, This buds on me!

Billy if you read this, I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with this rod. It is everything you said it would be and more. My only problem with it is you could have waited to send it to me till AFTER the sub freezing temperatures we are being served as I type this.

Pictures. Not the best and they don't do justice. my son wanted his rod in there as well Also a picture of his rod:biggrin:

Oh and for you Chickenboy, the wife wasnt going for the ic of her with the necklace of pearl so my dog Catfish and son decided to sport it!

:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
That is an interesting design on the eyes, and a nice choice in colors!
Let us know how it casts.
Congrats, and nice work Billy!

·
Registered
12,968 Posts
Great read and cute little boy you got there 24Buds! Love the red and blue, my old high school colors.

·
Jedi Knight and Friend to Captain Solo
17,027 Posts
Very nice, 24Buds. Can't wait to here how it fishes.

·
I'm a millionaire in a .02 opinion world
2,569 Posts
X2 on the unwrapping, I thought Christmas was gonna be over before B&P Sr. could get his exposed. Congrats on the smiles and killstix. B&P

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Yea I got home this eve and mmy new spiralstix was by the door too. I thought I would never get thru all the tape & then the newspaper. Finally I get to the masterpiece, Mines blue/ gold and she shur is purdy.

Congrats on your win 24buds. not tryin to hijack your thread, just know how you feel[proud].

·
Recovering Workaholic
5,922 Posts
All that ... and ya go and put a Zebco on it??? Blasphemy!

Actually, the fine Spiralstix Billy made for the wife has a Zebco Z03 Omega on it. Hey, it was what she wanted so that's what I bought her. Momma didn't raise no fool.

There was one problem, though. The shrimp in the package that was included were kinda chewy.

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,851 Posts
Dang!! I don't think I would have to sqyuint my eyes to get the line through those guides! Congrats on a fine new rod veinte quatro budisamos!

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All that ... and ya go and put a Zebco on it??? Blasphemy!

Actually, the fine Spiralstix Billy made for the wife has a Zebco Z03 Omega on it. Hey, it was what she wanted so that's what I bought her. Momma didn't raise no fool.

There was one problem, though. The shrimp in the package that was included were kinda chewy.
NO NO NO The Zebco is a picture of my sons rod. He was upset he didn't get one so felt he should post his up! I would NEVER disrespect the Billy!

And yes Chickenboy the dog is sporting your Pearls!

As for is it a two piece, nope, the eyes are that way! BILLYSTIX, care to explain that one. You had a much better explanation than I have. Crazy cool huh!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeh you will find yourself just staring at this work of art,when it's not in your hands.Then you find out you can't fish without it,seriously.We(myself and Primer) made the mistake of being in a hurry to leave fishing and forgot ours.Had to call momma to bring them to us.Other rods just don't compare.Enjoy it.Oh yeh the postman stayed around for our unwraping.

·
TEXAS Proud
1,331 Posts
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks like the guides toward the tip are on the same side of the rod as the butt guide. The point of a spiral wrap is to get the tip guides on the opposite side of the butt guide... What am I missing here?

·
Registered
663 Posts
I own a Billy Stix spiral wrap so can tell you how it is going to work. SWEET!!!!!!! My Billy Stix is soooooooo light and casts like a dream and is as sensitive as your going to find. I use mine 90% of the time on the water.

·
Know it, Love it, Kill it, and Grill it!
1,839 Posts
Congrats I have one of my own, and love it. BTW is that 24cokes, or 24juice-boxs' with you in the pic?

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Cute kid... Billy sure made you a sweet looking fishing pole! I hope you catch many fish with it!

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, it looks like the guides toward the tip are on the same side of the rod as the butt guide. The point of a spiral wrap is to get the tip guides on the opposite side of the butt guide... What am I missing here?
Alright I will try to explain it for you. The guide closest the reel is on center, the next two are offset, and then back to straight. It looks crazy in a good way.

Here is what it does, when you hook into Mr. Red and he doubles over your rod, the line is routed under the rod at the bend instead of rubbing on the rod itself. I took some line, strung it up and tried it. Indeed, unlike the conventional rods I own, the line is sent under the bend instead of across rubbing on the rod itself. I also went for the trigger-less "Comfort Hump" as Billy called it and it fits perfect in my hand with my Shimano super free Curado. Its old school, but my favorite reel! So hope that helps to explain it. "Normal" rods I own the line does rub on the rod when bent. This one, nothing like it. No rubbing, super sweet setup.

Billy, chime in and help me explain this.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats I have one of my own, and love it. BTW is that 24cokes, or 24juice-boxs' with you in the pic?
24Milks! lol

What a cute little boy, 24Buds! Neighbor's or adopted? ;)
I hired the neghbors kid! He works for milk and cookies! I don't think I will get my Chickeboy lures back from him or my dog Catfish. yep the dog is named Catfish

·
Registered
164 Posts
(((Budlight commercial theme voice)))Cheers to you, Mr. new Billystix Spiralstix lover. (((backround chorus)))He really loves his stix!!

I got one too and love it!! It feels weird at first, though!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts