2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boat has a nice bilge pump as original equipment, but I don't want to trust just one pump 50 or 60 miles away from the beach. I'm looking for a good pump to act as a primary or back up. Any experience or suggestions? What I'm really wanting is a commercial-grade pump of around 2000 GPH.

I've looked at Attwoods and Rules, and both have served me well in the past, but I'm really into overkill on this boat and I wondered if anyone had experience...good or bad...with the various brands. If the previously mentioned brands are OK then I'll go with them. They just seem a little flimsey to me!

Also, any suggestions on how to install/plumb it? I'd pipe it into the existing pump's plumbing, but that would entail NRV's and the chance that the other pump's discharge is clogged.

BTW, the boat is a 27' Proline CC.

Thanks,

Buck

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion

And I appreciate it, but I was looking for something I could hook up, turn on and leave while I was trying to take care of the reason for the bilge pump!:)

I have, in the past, hit a piece of flotsam (stump) and put a baseball-sized hole in the hull below the waterline. A rubber glove works wonderfully as a patch at slow speeds for a short period of time.

Thanks again,

Buck

·
Give it hell Remy!
42,848 Posts
If it is just a backup just plumb it with enough of the the appropriate sized tubing and run it over the transom when needed. I would not connect it to the existing plumbing just in case that was the problem with your existing pump. Also would not want a backup on a switch.. especially if it is seldom used... I would have battery clamps and plenty of wire. We have 3 boats and this setup is transferable to all of them. Good luck and hope you never need it!

·
Registered
210 Posts
One thing to consider: Use all the same type of pumps, i.e. make sure the cartridges are interchangeable. If one of your bilge pumps goes out, you can just steal one of your other pumps, like the live well pump (depending on how you are set up). All 3 of my pumps are the same and the cartridges are interchangable. If a bilge pump goes out I can just reach down into the hull, steal the live well pump cartridge, and stick it into the bilge pump housing. Flip on the "live well" switch and now it will pump water as a bilge pump. This allows you to have an extra pump on hand if needed and not have to re-wire a pump while offshore. I wouldn't recommend this as replacement for having 2 bilge pumps, but it's always nice to have a back up for the back up pump. Also comes in handy if your live well pump goes out, just steal a bilge pump to keep the bait alive while replacing the pump, and its nice to be able to carry 1 spare pump cartridge that will fit 3 or 4 of your existing pumps.

Also, have 2 seperate discharge hoses, in case one gets clogged, pinched, collapsed, etc.

I use the mayfair cartridge pumps and have not had any problems. They are 1000 or 1200 GPH, which is the largest they make (i think).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.