2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the year and the reason that The Niagra falls stopped running and dried up for two days?

Bigwater

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Sure easy.

Engineers with all the hydro electric work they have done could not effect that how ever an ice jam once did in the 19th century I think.

I know it was before the Civil War and about he time of the Mexican War and also about the time of the Calafornia gold rush, 1848,49 or 50. Before the rush I am thinking....1848

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Niagra Falls was in my neighborhood

before we moved to Florida in the early '50s. I do remember that the flow was interupted at one time...but I can't remember why.
A huge piece of the Falls broke free one time and change the look of the Falls.
Mom took me to see the Falls in the early forties. The bridge to Canada was very carefully guarded. Quite a few spies crossed it into the US during WWII. During the war a group of spies crossed the bridge into the US. Somehow Canada and the US discovered who they were. They ran to Goat Island at the Falls and were captured.
I'm eager to find out what the answer is to this quiz.

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ding Ding Ding!!

We have a winner. Bubba. Great response and I'm giving credit for the year also as it was guessed right. Heres the story for Aunt Joyce, quite interesting I might add:

The two waterfalls which comprise Niagra Falls arn't the highest in the world, but with half a million tons of water going over them every minute, they are spectacular enough, and this, coupled with the falls locale on the US-Canadian border ( in New York and Ontario) makes for a famous honeymoon site--to say nothing of the roaring 20's stunts like trying to cross the falls witha tigtrope or going over them in a barrel. Little do visitors realize that for two days in 1848, the mighty Niagra Falls sudenly dried up completely.
Before dawn on March 29, 1848, townsfolk living near the ever-cascading roar of the falls were awakened by an unaccustomed silence. Niagra Falls had stopped falling! As morning arrived, hundreds of residents gathered at the Niagra River, which feeds the falls, to find that it and the falls had somehow mysteriously shut down. The riverbed was drying out, for "out into the Canadian rapids....to the deep channel of Horseshoe Falls, the water was gone," odserved one witness.m Residents beheld the sight of the half mile wide Horseshoe Falls turned off, with the cliffs behind them revealed for the first time. Some feared that this could only mean the end of the world, and so rushed off to churches, while others heded out onto the dry riverbed to snatch up souvenirs.
What could have happened to cause Niagra Falls to suddenly turn off like this? And what happened to those half million tons of wqter going over the falls every minute? Well, it wasn't long before the cause behind the mysterious occurance was discovered: The answer was some 30 miles away at the oulet of Lake Erie--which is the source of the Niagra River which feeds Niagra Falls. Here, tons of ice had collected during the Spring melt to form a frozen dam, which effectively blocked the water flowing from Lake Erie to the Niagra River, and thus to Niagra Falls. It was Jack Frost playing a naturlistic practcal joke---three days before April Folls Day, yet!!
Two days after the mysterious shutdown, the ice dam had broken up, and soon water was cascading normally back over Niagra Falls, where it has been flowing nonstop ever since.

Bigwater

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
That's really interesting Bigwater. Congrats Bubba!

·
Registered
743 Posts
Never heard that before

That is a fascinating story. Thanks for sharing that, Bigwater.

Makes me think that, however much Man can do, it pales in comparison to what God can do.

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya'll are certainly welcome. I also thought it was fascinating! I thought it would make an excellent quiz but Bubba nailed it down pretty quick. I was surprised when Aunt joyce couldn't remember it. Glad I could share something fun and mysterious. I'm still looking for Bigwater quiz #4.

Bigwater

1 - 7 of 7 Posts