2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many many moons ago sailing ships ruled the high seas. Pirates sailed the seas in search of riches. Many times they would happen upon a ship carrying Jewels and Gold. They would then approach the ship and a battle would ensue. The pirates would pillage and plunder the ship and steal the cargo. Many ships had cannons to defend against such actions. Each cannon used a ball. This was known as a cannon ball. These cannons were properly placed around the ships gunnels so as to aim out at any danger that may approach. One problem with the cannon balls was that when the high seas would become rough the balls would roll all around on the deck. The ships captains being the creative types they were devised a solution to this problem. They made a device that would hold the cannon balls in place next to each cannon, leaving the cannon balls readily accesible.

What was this device called?

Bigwater

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner already and a runner up! Speckle Catcher is the winner with Spike a close second. You guys are fast!

I'll add one tidbit. This is where the phrase Cold enough to freeze the b**** off a brass monkey! came from.

Seems that when they found thereselves waaay North it would get cold enough for the brass monkey to break, scattering the cannon balls everywhere.

Bigwater

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
speckle-catcher is too doggone smart!

But, from what I have learned recently....I have to believe he's correct.
Thanks for another one Bigwater. Jeez it's nice to have a partner!

Hey Bigwater...I've been searching for the words of a song my Uncle Oscar burst out with until he almost drove me crazy. I don't know what ship my Uncle was on, but he was a sailor for sure. (before WWII), But any time of day or night, or inbetween, he would bellow "Oh, the monkey wrapped its tail around the flag pole" His sister, my Mom, would start to giggle and flush a bright red.
I have NEVER seen or heard all of the words.

Since you've been picking up a lot of good stuff recently, too. If you have time, would you mind seeing if YOU can find what Google completely failed at? I'd sure be behold'in.

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll sure give it a whirl in the am Aunt Joyce. I'd like to know why she turned beet red my dern self!

Have agood evening Aunt Joyce!

Bigwater

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Well, guess what Bigwater!

I just remembered something I had read about brass as opposed to iron and how they both react to freezing weather. The conclusion was that brass could tolerate freezing weather better than iron. Well, I just found this:

"Freezing the Balls Off the Brass Monkey," a Navy Phrase about Cannon Balls-
Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor
This piece of alleged history explains that in the olden days of sailing ships, cannon balls were stacked on the decks on brass plates called "monkeys." The plates had indentions in them that held the balls on the bottoms of the stacks. Brass, however, expands and contracts with the temperature and if it got cold enough, the cannon balls could fall...giving real foundation to the phrase "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!"

The Truth
According to the United States Navy Historical Center, this is a legend of the sea without historical justification. The center has researched this because of the questions it gets and says the term "brass monkey" and a vulgar reference to the effect of cold on the monkey's extremities, appears to have originated in the book "Before the Mast" by C.A. Abbey. It was said that it was so cold that it would "freeze the tail off a brass monkey." The Navy says there is no evidence that the phrase had anything to do with ships or ships with cannon balls.
HOW'S THAT ONE
GRAB YOU
BIGWATER ?
the voice of Joyce

·
2,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL Jees It looks like I've been had!!!!

Thanks for the clarification Aunt Joyce...You're the BEST!!!!!

Bigwater

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
Many ships' crews didn't fight but gave up hoping for_ _ _ _

Pirates carried a company of up wards of 60 to 100 men depending on the size.

The victims would hope to survive by joining the pirates.

What word am i looking for?

Also the same word was used in the negative to order all the sailors killed on a prize ship.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts