2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Team Grizzly
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out fishing SLP back in march with my one of my buddies trying to pick up a few spec's. We were throwing shrimp under a pop'n cork not having much luck only a few. Then I hooked this guy, I was using a very light action pole 12lbs test and a 2/0 hook. After a 45 minute fight she was 46'' and 50lbs. This is the biggest fish I have ever caught on such light tackle. I have a picture but I dont know how to upolad it. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Hey Night Trout,

I posted a pic and it worked first time, so it can't be hard...

When you reply to a post, scroll down past the smiley faces & stuff to
where it says "Additional options". Mash that button that says "manage
attachments"... and follow the instructions. You might want to go to the
FAQ page and study it a little bit. There are certain size requirements for
pics... there is a link for a free download utility that will resize pics for you.

Hope this helps...

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
Nice fish, they are ugly, but fun to fight. The little one taste better than reds IMO.

FYI, for future trips you can't keep drum that big the limit is 30". You were lucky the wardens weren't running the pass that day.

·
Team Grizzly
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not keep it. I only kept it long enough to take a picture. I have spoken to the wardens on several ocassions. last time I saw a warden I pulled his buddy of the dunes they were trying to climb.

·
Banned
663 Posts
Here's one of the biggest drum I ever caught. Funny story...we actually BOTH caught this fish at the SAME TIME!

I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there to experience it. My pole goes bent big time, so I grab it and start fighting. A few seconds later my buddies pole goes bent big time, so we're thinking...WOO HOO...we both got "fish on". He was fishing off the side in the middle of the boat, and I was fishing off the back.

We fight for several minutes, and the longer we fight our fish...the closer we get to each other.

We look down and to our amazement...we see BOTH our lines going into the mouth of this monster drum. He ate my shrimp...then swam on over and picked up my buddies shrimp a few seconds later. HE WAS HUGE. He was over 48" long...we set him on top of the 4' ice chest and he hung over on both sides by a couple inches. We didn't weigh him because at that point we knew we couldn't keep him.

Snapped this pic and let him go. I wish my friend would have been able to keep the head a little more straight so you could actually get the full effect of how large this guy was.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
My big drum story

I was recently crabbing with my 2 year old son when I saw a big tail waving at me in about 1 foot of water. I just happened to have my trout rod in the boat spooled up with 10# mono. Found a hook and cracked a crab open. I took a couple of runs to figure out how to keep the line out of the shell. Once he realized he was hooked he almost spooled me on the first run. I pulled anchor and gave chase. About 15 min. later I'm trying to stuff this big ugly dude into my little net. The whole fight was on a big flat so his back was out of the water the whole time. I'm pretty much a trout snob but I'll admit that catching that big ugly was pretty darn fun. Needless to say my 2 year old was very impressed and still talks about it to anyone who will listen.

Attachments

·
Banned
663 Posts
Yeah they won't win any beauty contests, but they are some dang good eatin!! We cleaned ours, cut it into catfish filet size strips, and fried ours up with a little lemon pepper in the corn meal and it was great!!

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
Here's one that Maddog pulled in one night at the intersection of the Brazos and the Intracoastal....I was workin a fish on another rod when my bottom rig baited with cracked blue crab went to singin. I told him to "catch that dam#ed ol gafftop" and after a LOOOOOONG fight this is what he boated!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts