2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just caught a big one barely fit in the trap so fat ! Sorry camera didn't work but wanted to know what the biggest racoon anyone has seen or caught around the lake (conroe). Im training some hunting dogs to track and wanted to know just how big they get, i was thinking i needed some little ones that won't hurt my dogs. Im guessing this one is about 25 lbs. a big sow gonna let her scent for a day or two then let her go. Kinda tame fed it some marshmallows didn't seem too aggressive. You never know, any advice from some old school 2 coolers would help!
Big Bird!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Try to pet it if it's so tame
. I caught a small one and thought i was going to make a pet out of it. That was a bad mistake. The night i caught it i was inebriated and i could hold it. I put it in a cage, but the next morning it was PI**ED OFF. Couldn't get near it. Wound up letting it go. Good luck

·
so much marsh, so little time
58 Posts
i dont have the picture i'll have to see if dad still has it. we got one that measured 48" nose to tail. there is a pic of me holding that hide and a bobcat hide standing on the tailgate. really impresive hide.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Used to trap them around in the rio grande valley as a youngster. Caught hundreds. Had one freaky big boar **** that was around 50lbs. It doesn't happen often but apparently if everything is just right you can run into coonzilla. Also used to hit fresh cut cornfields with a spotlight and find them in there thick. If you are using dogs to hunt with you, Train the dog very well to stay out of the water when cornering *****. ***** will draw them into the water and climb on thier heads and drown them. Seen it happen ( lab mix that liked water)and there isn't much you can do about it. Hard to shoot a **** off the head of your dog and going in and grabbing them off with your hands can put you in the hospital quick. makes ya feel helpless. Also don't let a lone dog get into it with multiple ***** for very long cuz they will circle the dog and keep attacking the dogs back legs as he turns around. Had a rodesian ridgeback get his back legs tore up something awful in a scuffle with a group of *****. Most of the time they are easy if the dog gets them treed. One out of fifty is smarter than a fifth grader and might surprise you. Never keep them for pets. Seen several people with them. They are really cool pets for a while. then they get big and arent scared of you. They will eventually turn on you or someone else when stressed.:cheers:

Good luck

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
I used to trap them over 20 pounds quite often, but a 20 pounder is always a nice 1.
I would have to agree with Rusty, clean it, make some stew, or smoke it, and save the hide to make scent trails for your dogs.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
They get mean

AP story

- Animal control officers hope to trap a pack of raccoons that mauled a 74-year-old Florida woman who tried to chase them from her yard.
The sheriff in Polk County, east of Tampa, says Gretchen Whitted fell when five raccoons surrounded and attacked her Sunday. She was taken to a hospital with extensive cuts from her neck to her legs.
"We're not talking about a lot of little bites here," Sheriff Grady Judd said. "She was filleted."

And they get big up north. Grew up in KS when **** pelts were worth something, and sold them whole to a fur buyer. Had a few 40#ers. Lots 30-35 iin the early winter. Usually from creeks bordering corn fields. Young ones are very tasty, better than rabbit IMO. Great barbecued.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

I knew If I asked I would getb the answers, I put on a welding glove, I think she was tamed or sick because I took her out let the dogs sniff her and she remained calm. She had a bobbed tail I have never seen one like that. She didn't appear to be pregnant or nursing. The dogs lost interests quick she wasn't much sport. As far as eating one I leave you too it saving my colesterol calories for more of that wonderful deer sausage. Thanks again for the advice. See you in the woods.

·
Registered
233 Posts
They get mean

And they get big up north. Grew up in KS when **** pelts were worth something, and sold them whole to a fur buyer. Had a few 40#ers. Lots 30-35 iin the early winter. Usually from creeks bordering corn fields. Young ones are very tasty, better than rabbit IMO. Great barbecued.
My brother and I trapped in the winter during Jr High and High School in SW PA. Caught mostly muskrat and ****, sometimes a mink or beaver (1-2 per season).

This was in the mid 60's and muskrat pelt would bring $1.25, **** would bring between $5.25 and $7.50, mink or beaver would get around $25.

Doesn't sound like much money, but it was a good way to earn money. Consider that min. wage then was like $.75 or 1.00/hr.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
***** don't make good pets.
I disagree. We had one when I was a kid that was a great pet. He was almost like a dog, he was very affectionate and playful. He lived in the doghouse with the dogs, I think he thought he was a dog. He weighed about 35 lbs when full grown(he loved dog food!) and lived with us for about 4 years until he finally realized he could get out of the backyard. He got in the back of dad's pickup one day and we hauled him into downtown Del Rio one morning. Came out of the bank and saw a crowd of people around the truck. He jumped out of the back and headed down to San Felipe creek. I would have another one if I didnt live in the city.

·
quando omni flunkus, mortati
1,506 Posts
A friend of mine raised one from a baby. Fed it with a bottle and all that nurturing stuff that goes along with it and when she turned 2 she ate his house apart and crapped it out. Craziest animal I have ever been around. On the subject of size, I have seen many ***** over 30 pounds but they are rare. There is a resturaunt in West Columbis called Lucys that has a stuffed one that is the size of a small water buffalo in the glass case by the register.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You'll all be happy to know that i did turn her loose. I was really suprised as she just walked away leisurely. I expected a big run and a following of the hounds like that scene in the "Christmas Story" The Red Rider BB Gun one! Instead Bubba took a good sniff and snarl a few barks and he lost interest. I caught a little boar **** this morning and he seems to be a bit more fiesty. One good whack on the wrist was all it took to remind me the why God put the Wild into Wild Animals. Ouch! good thing i got a tetnus shot earlier this year. Anyway the guy at the feed store told me to keep the **** in a dark place so he will sleep during the day! Any Advice on that? He told me the big sow **** was probably in shock or just exhausted. Anyway having a great time training Bubba and his crew, they are already proving to be great squirell dogs.
BB

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Big **** Updates!

look here!
You'll all be happy to know that i did turn her loose. I was really suprised as she just walked away leisurely. I expected a big run and a following of the hounds like that scene in the "Christmas Story" The Red Rider BB Gun one! Instead Bubba took a good sniff and snarl a few barks and he lost interest. I caught a little boar **** this morning and he seems to be a bit more fiesty. One good whack on the wrist was all it took to remind me the why God put the Wild into Wild Animals. Ouch! good thing i got a tetnus shot earlier this year. Anyway the guy at the feed store told me to keep the **** in a dark place so he will sleep during the day! Any Advice on that? He told me the big sow **** was probably in shock or just exhausted. Anyway having a great time training Bubba and his crew, they are already proving to be great squirell dogs.
BB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts