2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last Sautruday, went for a quick trip out of POC, and walked in at the mouth of Boggy.

The fishing was average, but as I was fishin gon the way back towards the truck, Inoticed bait getting busted inside of Boggy.

I couldn't resist, so I waded into the lake. I was relatively surprised to find a frim bottom, for most of the way. As I neared thearea where the bait was still being bounced out of the water, I saw what appeared to be a sea monster!!

In less than a foot of water, 15 feet away,quatering towards from me, was a huge eyeball....attatched to some huge wings.....attached to a javelin....

I've seen lots of ray, while wading, even some that gave me reason to pause. This one scared me.......like oh Sh!T where do I go now, scared?!? The thing was huge, gigantic......at least 4' across. The worst part was my steps had stirred up some mud, and this behomouth was heading straight towards me. I prepared my Stix, to use as a prod to keep the thing away, but just before it reached my mud boil, it turned away. Overcome with relief, I almost sank to my knees....regained my composure, and realised I had been holding my breath.....lol.....then dang, it had turned towards me again........I tried to shuffle forward to cleaner water, and only succeeded in stirring up more mud, that the wind was pushing in front of me, and had spread out along my back trail....The Dang thing went into my mud trail behind me, and only occasionally, could I see where it's wings, and back would come out of the water!! Old snake addages kept flooding my memory, about where there is one, usually you find another!!! Double SH!T. About this time, my butt cheecks are cramping due to pucker factor, and I'm getting lightheaded from still holding my breath.......

Finally unable to take anymore, I begin power sliding my way forward, to where I can see about two inches of water covering some scattered shell.......HA! let that bad momma foller me here......Then it happened.....I stepped on something ....somthing that moved....something alive......I screamed!!! It ran across my boot......I screamed again.....not much of a scream, since I was still holding my breath!! It was a flounder......a bit on the small side, but [email protected]!!!

Okay, it's okay, I haven't been impaled with a 12" spear.....I'M ALIVE!!!!

After what seemed like hours, I was finally able to draw a full breath...sweet air!!! Now that I had chunred up about two acres worth of mud, how am I gonna get to the bank, that seemed an infinite 40 yards away?!? I waited, too scared to move, and too scared to stay....finally....I realised I still had a pair, and just did it......made it to the bank.....scared up two more little flounder, between the shell clumps........but I made it alive, and unpierced!!!

oh, and by the way.....the bait continued to get blasted.......but who freakin cared any more......didn't catch any of the reds......sigh....

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Lol!!

Good story, Bert! I brought one in that big wading three weeks ago. I got it up to the top of the water and saw it and cut the line. It charged myself and FishFinder and scared us. We screamed like 2 little girls! HAHA

I would recommend the Hodgeman Stingray Reef Boots. We both use them, and they are great. They give you a very at-ease feeling when wading. I still shuffle, but it's still more protection.

·
Equine connoisseur
2,259 Posts
Bert, did you listen to your mother and pack a clean pair of undies in your tackle box?

Hey, maybe you and Legate can start a Stingray Close-call Support Group. LMAO

Pablo

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nasakid said:
Good story, Bert! I brought one in that big wading three weeks ago. I got it up to the top of the water and saw it and cut the line. It charged myself and FishFinder and scared us. We screamed like 2 little girls! HAHA

I would recommend the Hodgeman Stingray Reef Boots. We both use them, and they are great. They give you a very at-ease feeling when wading. I still shuffle, but it's still more protection.
nothing short of of three foot concrete walls would have stopped this barb....

and have you ever seen a stingray grimace in anger at you?!? from ten feet away?!?

·
Ice tea and beans
4,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
InfamousJ said:
Were you also wearing your frilly vacuum cleaning apron? LOL
I had to use it to wipe with when I got back to the bank.......dang I hate them things.......gonna start packing a nine with me from now on......lol

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Once in the 70's Pop and I were wading the south shoreline. about 50 yds apart. of Big Pocket (POC). All of a sudden Pop veered off to the shore where a little creek. about 15' wide, entered the bay. The water wasn't but about shin deep, and I could see what appeared to be two RF tails rippling the water. Pop waded into the mouth of the creek, casting to the rippling tails. He said " What the H*** is that? It doesn't look right?" As he waded up to get a closer look, all of a sudden the shallow water exploded in a spray of mud and water. It was the only time I ever heard my Pop squeel like a little girl LOL! It was a huge stingray, about 6' on a side. He had been lieing up in the little creek mouth, and the "tailing" redfish, were actually the tips of it's wings, slowly moving and rippling the water. As Pop was dead center in the mouth of the little creek, and as soon as the ray saw him, it headed to deeper water, it came right toward him like a freight train. One of the wings hit him ankle high and knocked him down. He actually had a bruise on his ankle from it. I learned some new words that morning as he waded up on shore to gather his wits about him again! LOL

My cousin, used to have a house at Sea Isle, and we would wade out to the right of the pier that was there. Just about a 100 yds to the right, at certain times in the summer, there were hoards of huge stingrays that layed on the bottom --real lazy and you nearly had to kick them to get them out of your way! Decided we wouldn't fish there anymore in the summer unless the water was clear enough to see them!

Later
R3F

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,867 Posts
Red3Fish said:
My cousin, used to have a house at Sea Isle, and we would wade out to the right of the pier that was there. Just about a 100 yds to the right, at certain times in the summer, there were hoards of huge stingrays that layed on the bottom --real lazy and you nearly had to kick them to get them out of your way! Decided we wouldn't fish there anymore in the summer unless the water was clear enough to see them!

Later
R3F
The area you're talking about is deeper and the sow stingrays would have their young in there! Been floundering that area since the sixties with White Cap and Sasquatch. Sasquatch and I used to gig the smaller stingrays, scoop them up and throw them at each other! They make a slappin flappin noise as they're going through the air, so you could hear them coming! lol

We would also gig the sows and line them up on the shell road at the base of the pier to deter waders from fishing "our" spot! They looked like pac men! :rotfl:

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
Harbormaster, if peta reads that they might tell everyone that we are endangering the rays and stake out the good floundering areas. Hmm, that might be good, Can we gig them and throw them at each other?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are rays edible? Always heard they cut them up and used them for scallops. Just never talked to anyone that actually did eat one. Anybody?

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,867 Posts
Dan20703 said:
Are rays edible? Always heard they cut them up and used them for scallops. Just never talked to anyone that actually did eat one. Anybody?
I've eaten quite a few! Lot of work to clean but good. Like fish, just dont overcook, they get chewy. You can cook just about anything in butter and it's edible!

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,867 Posts
I'm in! When you get good, you can skip them across the water!

I also carry Klein needlenose in my back pocket for de-barbing and releasing the big ones! You gig them just in front of the eyes and push the gig down hard, holding the tip top of the gig, since the tail will wrap around the gig handle and be thrashing around. When she settles down and the cloudy water clears some, you step on her tail, pull out the needlenose pliers and break off her barb! I've got quite a few double barbs and one triple barb! Back away, remove the gig and keep an eye on her as they're knot very happy at this point! :)

·
Genesis 9:2-3 & Deuteronomy 12:15-16
21,162 Posts
Someone needs to mess with mother nature, and introduce a barbless stingray into the gene pool. Maybe 100 years from now they'll all be like stepping on a pile of cow poop and you've done your good deed for the future fishery. I can see it now, "CBSA", Coastal Barbless Stingray Association. Who's up for the first happy hour of CBSA next week? LOL

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
If you eat the chinese buffets...you've had stingray. I was in the surf once and caught what I knew was a ray. It was running hard at my feet and as I reeled as hard as I could, it was getting closer and closer to my feet. Just before I was about to toss my rod and run...I saw a sweet 18" flounder pop on the surface..lol. My buddy said "what the hail you got? You were screaming like a little girl over a flounder?" 2 Funny

·
HOOK 'EM
790 Posts
rays

In July Conway and I were in South Padre fishing and we ran across what had to be a half acre school of stingrays in shallow water. I doubled back to them thinking it was a school or reds or jacks only to find out it was an enormous school of rays. You couldn't have got me out of that boat with a cattle prod! Those of you that hate them with a passion will be glad to know I mowed through the school about ten times before we continued on our way.

·
@Drew_Smoke
4,158 Posts
Does anyone remember the story out of Florida a few years ago? A giant ray got caught by an anchor and dragged the boat out to sea. They somehow transferred the anchor to the Coast Guard who figured out what the hey was going on. They said it was so big that it would have pulled the boat under if it had gotten to water deep enough. I'm bet they thought it was a spy submarine or something...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thinkin' Not

Hmm, don't know about that one. Sounds a bit far fetched to me.

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
Angler2407 said:
Does anyone remember the story out of Florida a few years ago? A giant ray got caught by an anchor and dragged the boat out to sea. They somehow transferred the anchor to the Coast Guard who figured out what the hey was going on. They said it was so big that it would have pulled the boat under if it had gotten to water deep enough. I'm bet they thought it was a spy submarine or something...
I aint heard that story but I did hear of a big ray getitn cought on an anchor when the men where shark fishin and it pulled them up current for a an hour or so.........eesh! thats a arse ray!!! i'd be a runnin and a screamin like a skeerd lil girl! LOL!!! i might even wet my undies. no joke! HAHA.........i hate rays....they too skeery!!!!>.................JJ

1 - 20 of 45 Posts