2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally put some meat on the ground!

The wife and I slipped down to our lease in Port Lavaca Saturday for a quick afternoon hog hunt. She is sick and really didn't wan to go, but she went. I set her up to hunt from the truck while posted at a tripod. I left the bow at home for the first time this year. I op'ed for the wife's AR-15 in 7.62X39 for the afternoon hunt.

I had hoped the cold weather Friday, might cause some ramped up movement Saturday. The conditions were great...NO SKEEDERS! There was nice cool breeze from the east and I had laced the corn Big Red that I spread to the north up the pipe line. With all the snow that was still on Hywy59 I would have thought it would have been colder than it was and started wishing I had my bow when my feeder scared the poop out of me and snapped me back into the hunt.

It is set to go off 2 times in the afternoons to help draw hogs, but the water level around the feeder made me hope the hogs brought some scuba gear because they were going to need it!

Some movement caught me eye to north, a hog! The way he was moving I knew he must have scented the Big Red soda. It reminded me a bird dog hot on a covey quail. He made a sudden move that made me think he might have winded me. Even though it was it was variable, so I put the cross hairs on the point of his shoulder and let it fly.

The little Russian round is certainly not a long range caliber, but it did it's job at 135yards! He only went about bodies length before he dropped! Who ever said the "sheild" on hogs can stop a bullet needed to see this...the little 123gr hollow point by-metal bullet entered the point of the shoulder and exited...yes, exited the off shoulder just above the elbow! That is though the sheild on both sides!:work:

It was only about 4:15pm so I hiked back to the truck to see how the wife was doing. When I got there she had put on the camo coverall's I brought for her and had her boots sitting there ready to go! I ask if she was feel better while we watched a small buck that was eating corn. When we seen some hogs cross the road to go to her feeder.

I knew they would be back out on the road pretty quick because the feeder had not gone off yet. I grabbed her gun and we took to close the 600 yard gap between us and the feeder.

To make a long story short Lucrecia ran out of gas before we got as close as we could have. She ended up taking a little longer shot than I wished with the way they move when feeding and the hit was too far back. I tracked the hog for over a mile and lost blood at a little after 7pm...a long way from the truck! They tough animals!

After I got back to the truck we went to try to load my hog. I walked up to it earlier, but really just close enough to be sure it history. THAT THING was HUGE! I have killed a bunch of pigs and this one is for sure the biggest...for sure over 300lber big! His bottom tusks were 2.5" and the top ones are huge too. It dwarfed the 180lb class hog hanging beside it!

After the wife and I fought it to get it in the "basket" on the back of the truck I went to wench it up on our game pole and it pulled the lag bolts with the section of the 2X12 that the bolts went into right out. I had to take it to another game pole in camp that has the wench welded to the pole. The way the cable was popping and creaking I wasn't sure we'd get it hung there either!

I sure wish I had not forgot the camera...the wife took some with her cell phone, but I have not got them out yet.

Any way here is a couple pic's after the fact.

Attachments

·
Eric Garcia, Premier-Yamaha San Antonio
1,141 Posts
""'It is set to go off 2 times in the afternoons to help draw hogs, but the water level around the feeder made me hope the hogs brought some scuba gear because they were going to need it! ""
---------thats about right, the place was flooded !!! I dont think Ive seen it that soggy in a loooong time. I was about fet up with mud by sunday afternoon !

·
Reel Gambler
3,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Real nice pig, and with that 7.62x39 -- great performance by that round.
I was thinking about your enquiry earlier about the stats on the gun from an earlier post I made when I shot this guy. I have shot several hogs with my AK's and this gun. It makes a great gun/caliber for women and kids who are just starting out. My nephew shot a doe last fall with it when his scope bit the dust...he was of course pumped to get to use his Aunts AR for the remainder of the hunt.

Eric...I hate to be the bearier of bad news, but the first 12 or so years we had this place it was just like it is now...nasty and muddy all winter long! It never seems to dry up during the winter. The last 5 or 6 years have been nice...

Oh...PS...I had not noticed until now, but hte right tusk is alot longer than the one measured earlier...the other is an honest 3"...you can see how much longer it is in the "head on" pic...

·
Eric Garcia, Premier-Yamaha San Antonio
1,141 Posts
nasty is right, even after I washed my truck it still smelt like fish ---and I never wet a line !! Oh, and how about the screeching sound of sand as you roll your windows down !! Gotta love it. I really do :) was that you in the green dodge at Rays ?

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
That would of been a nice one to catch with the dogs...
Congrats on some nice cutters!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts