2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bud of mine sent this to me don't know if you have seen this. I think they need a bigger boat.

This Mako was hooked in the mouth, only fought slightly for 15 minutes, came up along side of the boat to have a look, long enough for one of the crew to put a rope around it tail !!! That's when the s**t hit the fan!!
The Shark took off towing the 42foot fishing boat backwards through
the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS. The boat was taking on
water, the Shark would jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour before the Shark actually drowned.
He weight in at 1035LBS

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
A buddy of mine just sent that to me one day last week. Skipjack informed me that it had been around a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
From one of the crewmembers

I e- mailed one of the crew members for his story. - Tom

"Hi. It took about 45 minutes to get the shark to the stern. In hindsite it
was too fast - as we were using 200 lb. test (braided line). It was
pandemonium getting the ropes on it but it didn't tow the boat. We got two
small head straps on it first, and tied them off. Seconds after we got a
larger rope around her midsection, she broke both head ropes and the leader
all at the same time. Then we got a rope around the tail ....

It was an open stern with the sissy bar removed when the shark came to the
stern. The captain lifted about five feet of it out of the water with the
boom, and didn't dare lift it any farther. We put another rope around the
midsection and the four of us pulled the rest ot it aboard......

·
Registered
22 Posts
No offense against anyone, and certainly those fishers had every right to keep that shark. But...somehow I don't get a thrill seeing it. Kinda wish it was still out there...
Amazing animal...kinda like seeing old safari footage. How could you shoot a lion or elephant? Just my cents.

·
Registered
175 Posts
T Mack, we are on the same page. I will certainly not gripe because it is their choice, but it is a magnificent creature better served being able to swim freely. Thats why I think the South Texas Boys, Oz and crew to be exact, are some of the finest sportsmen out there to release some of the things that they do.. Takes big Kahonas to wade a mako out, recisitate him, and help him to swim off, but they do it with great success..

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Jumping jehosaphats! Imagine if that one had jumped in the boat!!! Been there, done that with smaller ones and ain't gonna do it again.. A beast that size would be a world of hurt.. LOL.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts