2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this one wading in East Galveston Bay! My biggest to date 27 inches and 7 and a 1/4 pounds!! Wading in 3 ft of water with Corky devil. My previous record was 27 and a half inches and 6 and 1/4 pounds so I had NO intention of bringing this one home. I always told myself it would take 30 inches for the wall! I know a lot of people have heard this story before but it is the truth! I am a true conservationist and my intention was to C.P.R. this fish! This fish hit my devil like a freight train and missed it and it foul hooked in its side. I fought the fish for well over five minutes not knowing what it was! When I got it to me it was belly up! I tried to revive it until well after dark with no luck so I brought her home. Weird to have such mixed feelings about the fish. I was freeking out excited but also felt really bad about killing it. Anyway, I guess she is going on the wall being that she is sooo fat! I am going out of town tomorrow so I need suggestions on a good taxidermist in southeast texas ASAP! Also, if I do have to store it for a couple days, any suggestions on the best way to do that would be appreciated! Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
432 Posts
Congrats on a great fish. I have always wrapped them in a wet bath towel and put in freezer. The towel gets hard from the water and protects the fins from damage.

·
Banned
26,320 Posts
Wrap it in a wet towel, then in a plastic bag & freeze it now. Figure out a taxidermist later. The only skin mount I have had done was at BASS taxidermy in Texas City. It was my first Red on topwater & was mortally wounded when hooked also. It is a beautiful mount & this guy can do anything. I'm not sure if he is still there...this was many years ago.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the congratulations guys! Does anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Bmt/PA/Orange/Winnie area?

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,640 Posts
congrats on a great fish!!!. Don't be too hard on yourself...you would have released her if you could have. That's fishin.

When you freeze her, wrap her up tight as possible and get out as much air as possible. You want to protect against freezer burn and get her to a taxidermist as fast as possible.

I don't have a recommendation for ya of who..

·
Registered
640 Posts
How refreshing, someone with respect for the species rather than an un-quenshable thirst to fill cooler after cooler of such a valuble resource. What a contrast to the recent post of a pick-up truck bed filled with trout!

Good on ya & greenie comin' your way for putting that girl on the wall!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for all the congratulations guys! Does anyone know of a good taxidermist in the Bmt/PA/Orange/Winnie area?
do yourself a favor and take a ride over to Steve German's taxidermy art in westlake, la

he comes as close to real on trout as any i've ever seen

nice fish btw, dont be so hard on yourself about her dying, it happens.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man! I will check him out. You have any pictures of his work?

do yourself a favor and take a ride over to Steve German's taxidermy art in westlake, la

he comes as close to real on trout as any i've ever seen

nice fish btw, dont be so hard on yourself about her dying, it happens.

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
I'll second Steve German. My mom and Steve were best friends growing up and still very close to this day. He is a stand up man and does incredible work. He's done several 12lb+ bass of my grandfathers from yrs ago to mine and his work is top notch. You will not be disappointed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts