2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It has floats built into the top. So it floats opening up out of water for east entry to get fish in. And I make my own rope lengths mine is about 5’ long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
The grey one I have is not see through so I’ve had sharks literally circle it but can’t find the fish. Because they can’t see them. Then you give them a nice pop of the rod tip on the nose and they take off with their tails tucked

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nice report. I used a fish bag for a couple years. Last year I had the worst ever shark attack with a bag. They are good until the shark finds the bag and attacks it, once he gets his teeth in the bag the fight is on. Trust me its not fun. I was tail whipped by a 4' black tip for what seemed like a 10 round bout. Knocked over broke my rod on him and could not get loose fast enough. Never again its a stringer for me from now on.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Nice report. I used a fish bag for a couple years. Last year I had the worst ever shark attack with a bag. They are good until the shark finds the bag and attacks it, once he gets his teeth in the bag the fight is on. Trust me its not fun. I was tail whipped by a 4' black tip for what seemed like a 10 round bout. Knocked over broke my rod on him and could not get loose fast enough. Never again its a stringer for me from now on.
Yea I keep my bag on a quick release. Just in case they ever get to it.

·
Registered
2006 215 Bayreef Key West
26 Posts
I truly believe Saltwater Fishing is better now than when I first started Fishing in the late '50's .. Of course at 8 to 9 years old we used Live Shrimp to catch 'em in East Bay, Galveston. Never really experienced Wade Fishing until Teenage Years since Dad didn't wade fish. Experienced beautiful stringers in the mouth of Rollover Pass, Bolivar Peninsula during May every year. I'm Blessed as I know you are to have had a Father who prompted my interest. Keeping the Faith!
I see where you are coming from Duramax, however when I was 9 to 12 years old I did'nt have a clue about Plastics and now are pretty much all I used especially Gulps. Something to be said for balsa wood Top Waters of old school also.

·
Registered
39 Posts
1. Go purchase the $50 US coast guard life ring(make sure and purchase the one with larger opening)
2. Game Winner Mesh Duck Decoy Bag.
3. Use zip ties to fasten the bag to the life ring.

The dark brown color of the bag seems to add 'some' level of confusion to sharks. Not saying it will never happen, but I've been using this method for 10+years ,and never had an issue. Plus the ring might save your life, or someone elses.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Great report!
God/Man made trolling motors so one does not need to get out of a perfectly good boat :)
I have had a few run in's with the man in the gray suit and try to wade as little as possible.
The ones at the Chandeleur islands in La scared the you know what out of me. I just flat out quite.
Except July-Aug-Sept down in the Galv surf! Time to soak croakers

·
Registered
100 Posts
I started down there back in the early 90s ask a kid! Nets are definitely a must have now days! I’ve popped a couple of sharks with my rod that were circling the fish bags trying to figure out how to get to the fish in them.

used to fish down there in 90's as well, memories of seeing tailing reds in fish pond but never could get one to bite. anyhow, never knew of or experienced any shark issues. i take it, that has changed? wonder why?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts