2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a great couple of weeks. Catching trout in several different areas. Seeing some areas as good as they were 4-5 years ago. It’s nice not having bay systems full of fresh water like last year. Doesn’t matter if you want to throw corkys plastics or bait. They are out there to be had! Released multiple really nice trout this weekend. As well as a bunch of over sized reds. If you don’t like the fact that I kept my 3 trout to get 1 meal for my family then keep your comments to yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Really good pics. Good to see some bigger trout. I was about your sons age when I started fishing POC. That was 50 years ago. We didn’t have to drag baskets with us then to keep the sharks off us. Different story now.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really good pics. Good to see some bigger trout. I was about your sons age when I started fishing POC. That was 50 years ago. We didn’t have to drag baskets with us then to keep the sharks off us. Different story now.
I started down there back in the early 90s ask a kid! Nets are definitely a must have now days! I’ve popped a couple of sharks with my rod that were circling the fish bags trying to figure out how to get to the fish in them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
What is a drag basket, and how does it work. I have a drag gizmo that slows down my drift, I think it's called a drift sock. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
101 Posts
What is a drag basket, and how does it work. I have a drag gizmo that slows down my drift, I think it's called a drift sock. Is that what you mean?
Drift stock slows speed of your drift while in boat......While wading putting a fish on a stronger is dicey these days.... "man in gray suit" will take fish off a stringer. A donut or basket is the way keep you and your fish safe. Saw big shark surface yesterday at Greens surface right in front of me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drift stock slows speed of your drift while in boat......While wading putting a fish on a stronger is dicey these days.... "man in gray suit" will take fish off a stringer. A donut or basket is the way keep you and your fish safe. Saw big shark surface yesterday at Greens surface right in front of me.
Ok I guess I'm buying a kayak!!! No shark encounters for me

·
Registered
2006 215 Bayreef Key West
26 Posts
Been a great couple of weeks. Catching trout in several different areas. Seeing some areas as good as they were 4-5 years ago. It’s nice not having bay systems full of fresh water like last year. Doesn’t matter if you want to throw corkys plastics or bait. They are out there to be had! Released multiple really nice trout this weekend. As well as a bunch of over sized reds. If you don’t like the fact that I kept my 3 trout to get 1 meal for my family then keep your comments to yourself

I truly believe Saltwater Fishing is better now than when I first started Fishing in the late '50's .. Of course at 8 to 9 years old we used Live Shrimp to catch 'em in East Bay, Galveston. Never really experienced Wade Fishing until Teenage Years since Dad didn't wade fish. Experienced beautiful stringers in the mouth of Rollover Pass, Bolivar Peninsula during May every year. I'm Blessed as I know you are to have had a Father who prompted my interest. Keeping the Faith!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I truly believe Saltwater Fishing is better now than when I first started Fishing in the late '50's .. Of course at 8 to 9 years old we used Live Shrimp to catch 'em in East Bay, Galveston. Never really experienced Wade Fishing until Teenage Years since Dad didn't wade fish. Experienced beautiful stringers in the mouth of Rollover Pass, Bolivar Peninsula during May every year. I'm Blessed as I know you are to have had a Father who prompted my interest. Keeping the Faith!
Id have to respectfully disagree. I think the numbers are close but fish are alot more scattered. I wasnt fishing in the 1950's but my grandfather was and the pictures he had was unreal. Today you got a lot more boat traffic that spreads them out and more fisherman. In the late 2000's when we would wade we would pant our feet when we caught one fish and it would usually bring another 10-15 fish off that school. In the last couple years its maybe 5 fish and start moving again. Im not saying im an expert or pro just my thoughts of a weekend warrior. Good luck out there.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Id have to respectfully disagree. I think the numbers are close but fish are alot more scattered. I wasnt fishing in the 1950's but my grandfather was and the pictures he had was unreal. Today you got a lot more boat traffic that spreads them out and more fisherman. In the late 2000's when we would wade we would pant our feet when we caught one fish and it would usually bring another 10-15 fish off that school. In the last couple years its maybe 5 fish and start moving again. Im not saying im an expert or pro just my thoughts of a weekend warrior. Good luck out there.

I don't think we have anything remotely close to what they had in the 50's, size or quantity wise. with that being said POC has come on strong the last 1/2 dozen years compared to previous years.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well worth the $$. The bag doubles as a bag to carry your boots, waders, tackle trays ect and then a way to keep you and your fish safe while in the water. Sharks can still sense there's a dead fish somewhere they just cant figure out how to get to it. Make sure you put a quick release caribeener on your belt

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well worth the $$. The bag doubles as a bag to carry your boots, waders, tackle trays ect and then a way to keep you and your fish safe while in the water. Sharks can still sense there's a dead fish somewhere they just cant figure out how to get to it. Make sure you put a quick release caribeener on your belt
And suddenly my desire to wade fish subsided........lol

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How well do the fish stay alive in these bags vs traditional stringer?
You can keep fish in them for hours with no issue. Only fish that’s going to die in one is one that’s hull or gut hooked. And that fish is dying no matter what. Keeps water flowing across their gills and they swim along with you.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
You can keep fish in them for hours with no issue. Only fish that’s going to die in one is one that’s hull or gut hooked. And that fish is dying no matter what. Keeps water flowing across their gills and they swim along with you.

does it float, do you keep it on a lanyard several feet away, or are you the barrier between the bait and shark ?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts