2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally broke down and bought The Big Easy. I have always fried my turkeys for @3 1/2 minutes per pound. For all that are using the big easy, do you cook for a certain length of time per pound or until the thermometer reaches the correct temp? Any other do's and don'ts? Thanks

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've cooked a couple of turkeys and a chicken in mine, I'm still learning how to use it, but it took about 2.5 hours to cook a 12lb turkey and about 45 mins to cook a 3lb chicken. I also cooked a pork roast and it was really good. If you inject em it makes them much better. Also let them rest for about 30 mins before cutting them. I use the meat thermometer after about two hours to check the temp. Dont forget to rub the outside of the bird with cooking oil and Tony Chachere's, the crispy skin is the best part.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I finally broke down and bought The Big Easy. I have always fried my turkeys for @3 1/2 minutes per pound. For all that are using the big easy, do you cook for a certain length of time per pound or until the thermometer reaches the correct temp? Any other do's and don'ts? Thanks
See photos below from my Thanksgiving turkey cooked with the Big Easy.

First: Brine the turkey. Any recipe that contains salt and peppercorns will do. Make sure the turkey is completely thawed before taking out of brine solution. I use an Igloo water cooler. This one sat outside overnight with ice on it. (this step is not absolutely necessary, but makes an ordinary turkey special!)

Next; Put it in the cooker basket exactly as you will for cooking and let it drain in the sink. Pat it dry.

Next; Rub it down with something simple. Like poultry seasoning. Keep it simple. A good turkey doesn't need any complex flavors.

Next; Put it in cooker. Insert meat thermometer in thickest part of breast. Leave the dial where you can see without removing the lid.

Next; Turn the heat to medium setting. (I haven't try any other setting)

Next; Turn the electricity off when temperature gets to about 150-155 degrees. The breast temperature will continue to climb to 165-170 degrees. If you keep cooking until the breast reaches 170, the rest of the turkey will be overdone.

I cooked a 15 lb turkey in about 2.5 hours, an 18 lb in about 3 hours.

Take it out and enjoy. I'll never fry another turkey!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts