2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was getting advice on a spinning reel someone said that few tuna were caught on poppers. What was used ? Live bait, chunk ? Conventional reel or spinning. In So. Cal we do most of our fishing with conventional reels. I use a 665 accurate for deep jigging, and a 870 for suface iron. I can only afford one Stella right now moving is costing me alot, so I guess I need A popping size reel. 18000 ???, Best all around size ? ?.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The answer is yes. They used all those things. I used Tiagra 30 LRSA for chunking and caught all of my fish on that. My friend used my Stella 20K and caught tuna on that popping topwaters. We caught fish using swimbaits, chunks, topwaters, and jigs. We used jigging rods and reels, spinners and long rods, trolling rods and reels. Fish were caught on every contraption/combination you can think of.
I think your Stella 18K will work fine. I don't know much about that particular Accurate you mentioned, but I'm sure given Accurates reputation it will work fine. I think it just about being at the right place at the right time than what tackle you are using. They were caught on all kinds of tackle when they were biting, but when we went to Gunnison nobody caught anything no matter what they used.

·
Registered
712 Posts
i hooked fish on the chunk, tiagra 16, plenty enough reel... alutecnos 12, i just got one of these for jigging and chunking.

yft were caught on jigs, chunks, poppers, shibuki, brabus, and i think one on a surface iron.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surface Iron

These are light Tadys and different brands ,they are light and are meant to be reeled back medium speed. They will sink if you do not reel them in. Heavy iron is meant to be dropped straight down and cranked back fast:flag:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts